How do corps decide how much for audition fees?

I have had to make food runs before at a camp and bought food out of my own pocket to feed kids at camps and never got money for that, (and don't care if I don't ever), it's just a point I'm bringing up, I wonder how many other volunteers have donated their own money to feed corps if this money for auditions is partly to cover food. See what I'm saying?

I had meant to mention this more in depth in my last post..

I do see what you're saying, but do you see what the rest of us are saying?

The fees charged are to cover expenses WHATEVER those expenses are. Further, those expenses to be covered by the audition fee are determined by each corps.. there is no set formula for it that every corps has to conform to.

Corps A may feed their kids 3 hot meals and a snack every day of their three day camp.. they figure that into their audition fees.

Corps B may offer their kids two cold lunches and cookies before bedtime.. and they figure THAT into their audition fees.

Corps C may tell their kids "you're on your own for meals." Again, figured into their audition fees.

There are too many variables, corps to corps, to stand up and say, "$100 is too much to charge for Corps C" or "$65 is exactly the right thing to charge for all corps" because we simply DO NOT KNOW what each of those corps are being charged for the things they are including in their audition fees.

Additionally, costs are going to vary depending on what part of the country you're in and what their facilities requirements (and the staffing requirements of the school district for use of their facilities) are. I say this because having put a corps on tour and being in charge of housing for that corps.. we found equal housing sites in one city could cost double, sometimes triple was they were in another city. It depended on so many factors.

So this goes back to my original comment that you have every right to ASK how the funds for audition fees are being used. If you think $100 for an audition weekend is too much, then you have a right -- even a responsibility -- to ask what that C note covers. I would imagine any corps on the up and up will be willing to go over the breakdown with you.

Maybe you're implying that corps in the lower echelons of Division I who charge more for their audition camps than other corps do are NOT on the up and up.. and if that's the case then I'd probably disagree with you. I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt -- and ASK if I do have doubts.

And even so, I still don't think $100 for an audition camp is asking a lot -- even WITHOUT every meal covered. This isn't 1983.

Stef