How do corps decide how much for audition fees?

I was browsing some web pages looking for stories to post and I was at a web page where this corps was asking for $100 for an audition fee. It got me to thinking. How do corps decide how much to charge for audition fees?

There is no formula for audition fees. Pretty much a corps charges what they think they can get. I know from personal experience as a corps manager that this time of the year, between the end of the competition season and the beginning of rehearsals, is the most financially difficult. Bills continue to come in, but with the corps out of service so to speak, there is little, if any income. The audition weekend is a BIG shot in the arm for most every corps.

So...just like in retail, you charge what your market will bear. If you are a top corps with tons of kids willing to pony up $$$ to audition, then go for it. As you move down in the rankings, corps have to make it attractive and feasible for people to want to audition.

Edited by ssorrell

The formula works like this:

Paid Staff (a)

Volunteer Staff (B)

Facility and Travel Costs ©

Bingo $$ (y)

How high you want to place (X)

Amount needed to be covered by dues (z)

Z = (a-B)+(c-y)/x

Unless you are funded by a medical inventor kajillionare. Then you can throw the formula out the window.

EDIT to add :D

Edited by mingusmonk

Interesting responses...

The length of auditions probably has something to do with it...

Last season our auditions were one day, 8am-6pm. This year, it's a 2-day, over-night audition "camp". So obviously more food is needed, more time at the facilities, etc...

I've wondered about this myself. What if big time corps the Red Riders got third place last year, and only has 3 spots in the drum line (1 bass, 2 snare). Do they post that on the web site or do they let the 200 kids show up trying out for the drumline at $100 a pop?

Ahh, I guess I'm just being negative here (thinking corps are gouging), you can learn a lot in one camp. Most importantly whether or not you are ready for drum corps. I say charge what you can. Heck, even have a few "audition" camps around the country.

The real question is, do corps make money on auditions or do they just cover expenses?

I think it's getting a little out of hand.

The Cadets hold a Friday night - Saturday - Sunday audition camp. $90 application fee, $90 dollar camp fee, for a grand total of $180 dollars for the weekend.

I was browsing some web pages looking for stories to post and I was at a web page where this corps was asking for $100 for an audition fee. It got me to thinking. How do corps decide how much to charge for audition fees?

Dice... :P

Actually..I would venture that it is based on the infusion of $$ that the corps need. You figure that at an auition camp, you are going to have to feed and house LOTSA kids. The fee collcted is in corelation to this.