Spirit of JSU announces 2006 show:

Those charts were Larry Kerchner charts... Blue's in the Night is a classic.

Later, AA

Im pretty sure the late Ray Baumgardner wrote Blues in the Night for spirit, Brothers of the Bop, etc. he was also the brass arranger for Madison at the time....notice the similarities between Blues and God bless the child?

Future Corps also played this arrangement for their Epcot show...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im pretty sure the late Ray Baumgardner wrote Blues in the Night for spirit, Brothers of the Bop, etc. he was also the brass arranger for Madison at the time....notice the similarities between Blues and God bless the child?

Future Corps also played this arrangement for their Epcot show...

dude...you are arguing with a member from Spirit in those years (and a sop soloist to boot) who was also on brass staff later!

Kershner wrote the entire 83 and 84 brass charts. Ray Baumgart wrote ONLY "Concerto in F" for Spirit in 1985.

Trust me...I was DM in 84 and 85.

And BTW...Madison played God Bless the Child last in 1978, not the same era that we are referring to.

Edited by ssorrell

dude...you are arguing with a member from Spirit in those years (and a sop soloist to boot) who was also on brass staff later!

Kershner wrote the entire 83 and 84 brass charts. Ray Baumgart wrote ONLY "Concerto in F" for Spirit in 1985.

Trust me...I was DM in 84 and 85.

And BTW...Madison played God Bless the Child last in 1978, not the same era that we are referring to.

:laugh:

Right on Steve!

Kershner re-wrote the '84 'Blues' arrangement for MBI in '88 & '89, after we played one of his originals, "In like a Lion" in '86 & '87 (arranged by Rick Rueckert). I was told Larry freaked when he heard us play that at DCA.

Ray Baumgardt's last year with Madison was '79..Jim Ott wrote the '80 show for them..Metzger and others wrote after that until Scott Boerma hooked up with them.

Pat

From a Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps press release:

As Spirit prepares for a year of celebration going into the corps 30th anniversary, the corps’ 2006 show title is “Old, New, Borrowed, and Blue.”

The design team of David Starnes, Randy Nelson, Michael Gaines, Richard Saucedo and Clint Gillespie will be releasing the full program at the 2005 Spirit banquet on Nov. 26. This production will be one that the fans will love and the members will thoroughly enjoy performing.

Can't wait!

Edited by SF2K4

I'm interested!

In the depths of my mind where I old a ton of semi-developed show ideas there was one I called Something new, blue, borrowed and old, where the opener would be a very modern work, the second number would be Blue Rondo ala Turk, the borrowed song would be a signature song from a different corps, like playing Channel One if your not BD, and then the something old would be a corps standard played on G horns and marching the pit.

But heh, it will be cool to see where they go with this idea.

- crosses fingers - Please play the 1980 arrangement of "Georgia" as something old :laugh: