a quick lesson in Bridgemenology

the next years were magic!

the next 5 years for the corps were nothing more than a carpet ride. 78 saw the corps rise up and re take their place finishing 5th with a hornline that was WOW. just power and electricity. The solos from Jim Brady are legendary! another traffic jam clogged the field and the fun continued!

79 was a very young corps. but they did well finishing 6th. mayhem was the order of the day! they were dancin' and singin' and movin to the grove....Ok well it was party time on the field just about every night! The corps was becoming the perenial crowd favorite. maybe not the best but certainly very good. Then came 1980.

1980 was arguably the best corps the Bridgemen ever had. The corps finished only tenths out of 1st and finished in 3rd place. 2 tenth's in penalties took them out of a tie for second with 27. The drumline took its first of 3 high drums titles. This show brought one of the most famous tunes for corps and band for the next 20 years "In the Stone". The show ended with Civil War suite that brought the Alabama crowd to its feet for what seemed like forever! After they finished the corps staged a football game on the field to the delight of the audience!

The corps in 81 put out a solid performance and came in 6th. The corps was never known for its marching, but its drumline was becoming legendary. The won their second high drum title in a row. The guard grounded their equipment for the second half of the show and acted out West Side Story complete with sharks and jets.

82 (my first year) saw what could be argued the best drumline in DCI history. Remember, this was the last year of the tick system. the line pulled a 19.8 in Pittsfield Mass. right before Montreal. A 19.8??? that was sick! The corps turned the field into "the Cotton Club" complete with waitress service, dancers, tables and the like! The corps finished 8th that year but no one was worried about the Bridgemen's scores they were just fun to watch!!!

more later!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

82 (my first year) saw what could be argued the best drumline in DCI history. Remember, this was the last year of the tick system. the line pulled a 19.8 in Pittsfield Mass. right before Montreal. A 19.8??? that was sick!

That must have been the caption win that allowed you the margin of victory over us that night: :P

Monday August 16, 1982

Pittsfield MA DCI

Position Corps Score

1 Garfield Cadets 92.300

2 Crossmen 89.050

3 Bridgemen 86.500

4 Cavaliers 85.300

5 Defenders 72.950

6 Memphis Blues 72.500

7 Alliance (MA) 70.950

8 Velvet Knights 66.750

9 Les Eclipses 63.500

10 Pioneer 52.050

Hey!! That was a week after my 21st birthday!!!!! :rock:

82 (my first year) saw what could be argued the best drumline in DCI history. Remember, this was the last year of the tick system. the line pulled a 19.8 in Pittsfield Mass. right before Montreal. A 19.8??? that was sick!

Was there a year that the drumline got a 19.9? Our tenor tech/caption head at Bluecoats in '88 was Jay Webb (Bridgemen tenors) and used to talk about the "19.9 line". I thought he even had a shirt or something. He said that the only tick was a cymbal tick (ride cymbal, I think).

no scott you are miss quoting Jay - it was a 19.8 2 tick show he and Jim always talked about. although Jim aged out in 1981 he was still proud of the 82 line and the 2 tick show.

After Finals in '78 in the parking lot in Denver a few Bridgemen walked up to me and gave me a shirt that had a design with the word Phantom Regiment hidden in a wacky type design. Not sure why. What was the meaning behind all of this.

I was wearing green and red.

Mom