2006 Americanos

Since so many of you are interested in how things are shaping up for the 2006 Americanos I guess I'll just let the cat out of the bag. It seems our "poster boy" has stirred things up abit.

As far as recruiting goes I can honestly say that I have never see so many marching bands in my life. I personally attended the state championships for Wisconsin and Michigan, as well as the BOA Grand Nationals. I also had staff members at the Illinois championships. The response from the music students at all of these competitions was unbelievable. I also made a trip to Eastern Tennessee, the home of our new Brass Caption Head. Over a three day period I was able to sign-up over 70 potential members. The day after each of these recruiting trips our website recieved a staggering number of hits. And to this day we are still getting 3 - 4 new people registering each day. And no they aren't all drummers. Now I know that not everyone that signs -up will march but the response has been simply incredible. While taking trips out to various competitions on the weekends I have spent most of my weekdays visiting schools around the area.

Keith Gee, the original director for Capital Sound, spoke to me once about what he concluded from his recruiting efforts. Keith said that for every 100 students you talk to you might get 10 that will show some interest. Out of that 10 you might get 3 to actually come to a camp. And out of those 3 that come to a camp 1 will march the season. Now everyone can see just how difficult it is to recruit for a Div. II/II corps.

Thankfully though I am not the only person with the Americanos that is out there recruiting. I really have to give props to my staff. They are the ones that have really done the tough job. The only staff that is returning from the '05 staff is part of my percussion staff. Everyone else is new to the organization but not new to drum corps or the marching arts. My four caption heads have a combined 60 years of experience in the activity (approximately). They are the ones that have talked to kids until there are blue in the face. I am also very fortunate to know a number of Band Directors and marching band instructors from all over the country who know what is possible with my staff and have steered some of their students our way. And lastly let us not forget those members from previous years of the corps that are returning and bringing their friends.

I won't make any predictions of Division or even corps size I'll just let the cards fall where they will. The organization of course still needs to go through an evaluation by DCI before we can compete. I have really put it to my Board to make sure that they are doing their part and so far I have no complaints.

We are going to have a new look this season. If you want to imagine what it will look like find a picture of the Americanos from the 1970's and then imagine it with a more modern look. I would love to hear some suggestions.

Check out our program description that I posted in the "Announcement Forum" I hope you will enjoy it.

VIVA!!!

Edited by CANOSDIRECTOR

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since so many of you are interested in how things are shaping up for the 2006 Americanos I guess I'll just let the cat out of the bag. It seems our "poster boy" has stirred things up abit.

As far as recruiting goes I can honestly say that I have never see so many marching bands in my life. I personally attended the state championships for Wisconsin and Michigan, as well as the BOA Grand Nationals. I also had staff members at the Illinois championships. The response from the music students at all of these competitions was unbelievable. I also made a trip to Eastern Tennessee, the home of our new Brass Caption Head. Over a three day period I was able to sign-up over 70 potential members. The day after each of these recruiting trips our website recieved a staggering number of hits. And to this day we are still getting 3 - 4 new people registering each day. And no there aren't all drummers. Now I know that not everyone that signs -up will march but the response has been simply incredible. While taking trips out to various competitions on the weekends I have spent most of my weekdays visiting schools around the area.

Keith Gee, the original director for Capital Sound, spoke to me once about what he concluded from his recruiting efforts. Keith said that for every 100 students you talk to you might get 10 that will show some interest. Out of that 10 you might get 3 to actually come to a camp. And out of those 3 that come to a camp 1 will march the season. Now everyone can see just how difficult it is to recruit for a Div. II/II corps.

Thankfully though I am not the only person with the Americanos that is out there recruiting. I really have to give props to my staff. There the ones that have really done the tough job. The only staff that is returning from the '05 staff is part of my percussion staff. Everyone else is new to the organization but not new to drum corps or the marching arts. My four caption heads have a combined 60 years of experience in the activity (approximately). They are the ones that have talked to kids until there are blue in the face. I am also very fortunate to know a number of Band Directors and marching band instructors from all over the country who know what is possible with my staff and have steered some of their students our way. And lastly let us not forget those members from previous years of the corps that are returning and bringing their friends.

I won't make any predictions of Division or even corps size I'll just let the cards fall where they will. The organization of course still needs to go through an evaluation by DCI before we can compete. I have really put it to my Board to make sure that they are doing their part and so far I have no complaints.

We are going to have a new look this season. If you want to imagine what it will look like find a picture of the Americanos from the 1970's and then imagine it with a more modern look. I would love to hear some suggestions.

Check out our program description that I posted in the "Announcement Forum" I hope you will enjoy it.

VIVA!!!

70's uni's were great! Especially the "Frito Bandito" Drum Major!!!!

Can't wait to see you again on the field!

John Hoekstra

Teal Sound

(Native Wisconsin Boy)

Sounds good!

P.S.

Any pics on the web?

Edited by Orpheus

Well, here's 1970,

amcn701.JPG

and here's 1980

canos80.jpg

so I'm guessing it's something between these two? or one of these two just more modernized? Both are spiffy uniforms I think :)

Edited by bari_benzo

Linnie,

It sounds like you have put a ton of work into the Canos -- not like you haven't in the past. I am sure the Canos will be worth seeing this summer and the evaluation will be fine.

Those of you that don't know Linnie, he is a gent and a hard working one at that. The Canos would be a good place to march this summer.

Jim

Nicely put MusicandCharacter, I couldn't agree with you anymore. Took the words right out of my mouth.

bari benzo,

I think you read my mind. Those are two of the four or five pictures that I am using to create the new look for the corps. I just wish I was more of an artist.

Music and Charcter,

Thank you for those kind words. I thought that my final season with Tarheel Sun was a challenge. It was a cake walk compared to rebuildng a corps. How are things shaping up in Evansville.

Take care and we'll see everyone this summer. VIVA!!!