Pioneer

I wouldn't have expected it, but it turns there is a Pioneer borg too. I suppose it's a good thing that some folks have enough passion for the corps to suggest - wrongly I believe - that you can't criticize the music it chooses.

HH

I think you are missing the point here, it's not about being a "Borg", it's about doing things in a certain manner. You know not tearing each other down, at least I was taught that when I marched. Has all that gone out the window?

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that playing Irish music is necessarily a huge competitive hurdle (it's nothing so bizarre or subtle that a talented arranger couldn't make it into an effective show). However, I think the Irish theme is weird and forced when you try to fit it to music that doesn't really have much to do with Ireland specifically, ie "Irish in the Civil War" or that bit in the program notes about Oliver being set in Ireland (or maybe I imagined that). Other corps try to come up with silly show titles sometimes, too. It's just a minor thing that doesn't matter all that much.

Keep your Irish theme (shamrocks, the color green, whatever else you do)-- It just doesn't need to be "Irish this" or "Irish that" for everything. If Blue Devils had every show titled "Such-and-such Jazz" it'd be odd, too.

Just stop the old "If you don't like the show you're hating the members and everything they do" bit. It's silly. Liking everything every corps ever did no matter what would be insulting to the members.

And yes, if after I saw a show a member asked me if I liked it or not, I'd tell them even if I didn't like it.

PS: Play something by Flogging Molly. Do it well and people will like it, and it's even Irish.

Edited by BorisTS

No one is tearing anyone down though! People are offerinc crticism and discussion about a div 1 drum corps. Just as people do all the time on DISCUSSION forums about any of the other drum corps. People rip on Cavies 01-03 show design all the time. So what.

I am tired of Irish shows. Yawn. I think the troopers shows work simply because we LIVE IN AMERICA. It's more of a patriotic thing. I equate pioneers shows to the same idea if there was a corps from Iceland or something and only played Icelandic music that was poorly designed and executed. It would get old and stale REALLY quickly. It's cool to have tradition, but man... Sometimes traditions need to change. And I know those hats are a tribute to Roman (am I right?), but really now... Just my opinions.

Oh, and BTW... you are still all comparing 2004 and 2005 only. 2003 was Holsinger, so for those of you making the argument that Pioneer NEVER switches things up, put a little more thought into your posts. I know right off the top of my head a corps that did two VERY similiar shows back to back.. oh wait, no, two. SCV in 88 and 89. Scouts in 91 and 92. I know there is more. My point is still that this thread is in fact pointless.

Holsinger?

More "Danny Boy", please!

SCVSop... I think you need to have a little more class. Even though you don't march anymore, you choose to have a username that includes the name of the corps you marched. I don't think you are representing them very well. I know one or two SCV guys who would agree with me. Besides, when was the last time you sat down and watched a show from Pioneer?

If you march a corps and don't like the music, then don't march there anymore. If it's not your corps, then don't tell them how to run things.

I guess that's why DCP exists though is to tell people how things should be in their own opinion.

I'm wondering if you really mean or believe that every member of every corps has loved the music and show that was put together every year? If you don't like the music don't march there anymore?

What kind of tradition would that be, and what kind of loyalty? There were many, many times I didn't enjoy a song or a piece of drill that we were doing. Not to march anymore would be a pretty drastic measure in my opinion. Pretty lame and pretty weak sisterish along with being pretty childish.

Were you just saying that to get your point across as to why DCP exists and what opinions are worth?

Just wondering.... :huh:

I know, opinions are like ########, one is enough! (p.s. I put in the #### myself.....) I'm such an angel... :P

Edited by LancerFi

Um...that's not true at all. I'm allowed to dislike a show theme or design without disliking the corps.

I mean, come on, EVERY corps has done shows I don't like...yes, even my favorite corps.

Did I suddenly hate the Blue Devils because of their 05 show? No. Didn't care for the show, but that doesn't mean I have to HATE them, as you seem to imply. Same thing with Pioneer. I think you should step back and realize that just because you aren't 100 percent behind a concept, doesn't mean you hate the group.

My point is that if you always hate the themes and you always hate the design and you hate the tradition we have set... what do you like about the corps??? I mean, the corps was founded in St. Patrick's church, we have a little bit of precedence here. I am not implying anything at all, why don't you post all the shows and everything else that you have liked/like about the corps, then I may be a little more welcoming of your criticism.

I'm wondering if you really mean or believe that every member of every corps has loved the music and show that was put together every year? If you don't like the music don't march there anymore?

What kind of tradition would that be, and what kind of loyalty? There were many, many times I didn't enjoy a song or a piece of drill that we were doing. Not to march anymore would be a pretty drastic measure in my opinion. Pretty lame and pretty weak sisterish along with being pretty childish.

Were you just saying that to get your point across as to why DCP exists and what opinions are worth?

Just wondering.... :huh:

I know, opinions are like ########, one is enough! (p.s. I put in the #### myself.....) I'm such an angel... :P

AMEN AMEN