Cadets send newsletter - link to recording of '06 opener.

RED

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if anyone wants a clip of the original recording that was posted, I've saved it using a sound recorder...not the best quality, especially when some percussion bass gets going in the midde of the clip, but it's there anyway... private message me and I can email you the clip I guess? I don't really have anywhere to post it... I assume that is legal, it was publically posted by The Cadets first...

Just heard the full track, and if that is indeed the one they're using, it's niiiiiice... :)

Mike

in hops livejournal someone replied and stated they couldnt find it and he answered with "sanvean". im pretty sure thats the song. i just listened to it myself and its awesome. very dark. kinda has the dancer in the dark feel to it. i got chills from the first few notes. cant wait to hear what they do to it.

OK someone shared with me where I can upload stuff for people to download... the original Cadets clip is at...

http://rapidshare.de/files/9207706/cadets01.mp3.html

The page is a little user-unfriendly, but you should be able to figure it out. PM me if you have issues and I can email...

Enjoy!

Hahah that's funny, I played that piece in high school (Marian Catholic) and the arrangement is almost exactly the same (sans woodwinds lol). Wasn't there just have a discussion about corps always leading bands in innovation? :P

I'm not interested in the food fight aspect of this issue. However, given the convergence of comeptitive marching band and drum corps that was inevitable when "corps style" became the idiom for marching band competition, there is a simple reason to expect that bands will sometimes be out front, numbers.

Innovation is often the product of experimentation and, in this area, experimentation usually takes the form of writing for an ensemble and seeing if it works for the performers, judges and audiences. "Custom" (i.e., not marketed to the general public) shows tend to involve a level of experimentation from year to year (and ensemble to ensemble) since a substantial percentage of the writers do not want to repeat past work (for personal, reputational, artistic or competitive reasons). The number of bands that perform custom shows dwarfs the number of corps and corps instructional staff members often direct/instruct/write for bands as well as corps. Consequently, it is likely that, at an aggregate level, more experimentation will occur in bands than in corps.

There are, of course, the countervailing factors of talent level, rehearsal time for a single show time and relative effect of a corps' success on a writer's reputation (and prosspective earning power). However, thousands of bands experimenting a little may be able to create as many new ideas that catch on as dozens of corps experimenting alot.

in hops livejournal someone replied and stated they couldnt find it and he answered with "sanvean". im pretty sure thats the song. i just listened to it myself and its awesome. very dark. kinda has the dancer in the dark feel to it. i got chills from the first few notes. cant wait to hear what they do to it.

Rock on - it's a floaty, kind of ethereal piece, in my opinion. Not quite as driven as Dancer was. Oughta leave the door open (hah!) for some great visual work.

Mike

Let me be the first to state that Mona Shores HS had a vocal singer in their ballad this past fall season!!! :o :laugh: