DCA Soloist Awards...

FPonzo

Wait a minute! You can't win DCA's best soloist award if you're paid to play?

Please read my original statement again. Mr. Robertson was not paid. The person who was to be named "Best Soloist' was the person who was paid. When it was discovered that s/he was paid to march the season of 1992, s/he was "disqualified?" and the award was given to Wayne Robertson.

Siglow

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah do tell( trying to think besidesWayne, DA, Roger,Mike DiMeo and Frank who the best soloists in 92 were)

wow.

can anyone else weigh in on this so Mike doesnt look like a conspiracy theorist?

Mike will look like a conspiracy theorist no matter what.

Donny

This is a great question !!!! There was a thread right after finals this past year begging the question, "Who picks the winners of these awards?" In addition to Best Soloist, I would also like to know who picks The Best Contra Line, The Best Drum Major, and also, the Showmanship award. Oh, and is there now an award for Best Cymbal Line? Or am I confusing that with this past year's showmanship award? If there is a cymbal line award, what is the criteria for that one? And again, who picks it? Is it completely arbitrary?

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone who has won any of these awards. I would really like to know the criteria and the process by which the winners are chosen. Personally, I think there are way too many awards given at finals. It is indicative of our society's incessant need to make everyone feel good about themselves.

Here is my suggestion for the awards - just caption awards! And no GE award, it's unnecessary.

- Brass

- Percussion

- Guard

- Marching

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

For caption awards, such as brass or percussion, the scores awarded for the night are employed. The method of selecting the other "best" awards at most contests is usually assigned to a working or non-working judge. Now not to read into this too much, but there is usually not a sheet or criteria. It's simply a matter of picking a winner and giving the award to the person or section most deserving. This isn't to say that the selection is a casual endeavor. Judges do take this very seriously. For the 2001 DCA season, the awards were given by the judging administration team and non-working judges, who had judged prelims as I was the brass caption head. This is still likely the method today and in the past.

One other item for this list is that the showmanship award is considered to be above any other award. Someone winning the showmanship award could not be best drum major or soloist allowing the wealth to be spread around. Surely there are several brass players each year more than deserving of recognition in DCA. It might be wise to list the brass showmanship winners on the list with the soloists.

Jeff Mitchell,

past DCA Brass Caption Head

Bush Program Consultant

Edited by Jeff

The name of that soloist is........

Bob Kidd!

Don't you remember all those triple C's? I know it was a bit strident, but wow, that Parduba really projected into the first row!

Wow......I remember it like it was 13 years ago!

:P

Thank you Dennis. Now maybe both Ream and Allen will "cess and desist" from casting aspersions or I'll get the same lawyer the Skyliners used to sent me a letter to send one to both of you. :P After all if they can be a bunch of whining so and so's, so can I. :D

By the way, how much was he paid?

Dave,

For caption awards, such as brass or percussion, the scores awarded for the night are employed. The method of selecting the other "best" awards at most contests is usually assigned to a working or non-working judge. Now not to read into this too much, but there is usually not a sheet or criteria. It's simply a matter of picking a winner and giving the award to the person or section most deserving. This isn't to say that the selection is a casual endeavor. Judges do take this very seriously. For the 2001 DCA season, the awards were given by the judging administration team and non-working judges, who had judged prelims as I was the brass caption head. This is still likely the method today and in the past.

One other item for this list is that the showmanship award is considered to be above any other award. Someone winning the showmanship award could not be best drum major or soloist allowing the wealth to be spread around. Surely there are several brass players each year more than deserving of recognition in DCA. It might be wise to list the brass showmanship winners on the list with the soloists.

Jeff Mitchell,

past DCA Brass Caption Head

Bush Program Consultant

As I recall, the "Best Drum Major" Award is usually awarded by someone who has/had been inducted into the WDCHOF during that year's Championships. I remember when Gus Wilke was inducted in 1998 he drew that assignment.