OK Now 2 1982 DCA Stories

#1 There was a show we did at a College that year (Rutgers???).... anyway it was pouring a** rain ALL during the day Needless to say we (Hurcs) were on the field in the puddles and mud doing drill ALL day (Thanks Dennis and Neil) and ALL day long Sky was under a roof sitting on picnic tables playing "Come In From The Rain"...........###### us off! well around 4 or 5 (Something) we finished up, and being that the field was Astroturf AND the rain had just stopped...we got ready for the show, which by the way went off without a hitch! Needless to say we kicked their a** in drill that night and were FINALLY able to get a decent "Spread" between us and them (Drill-wise).

#2 DCA Regional Championship in Rochester we finally had everything "Gel" and beat Westshore, (Who was Previously Unbeaten) so we were standing at retreat while they did all kinds of announcements, etc.... lots of corps to play off etc EDIT: We were all drinkin' our butts off because we knew we had done very well EDIT END: On the field @ retreat, the guy next to me Jay, (Shorty) starts mumbling 876r1yhgotta PFFFFFFF "what Shorty?, I gotta #### he finally yells. We said just hold it or turn around and #### here! "NOOOO theres people out here"! well,he finally said F$%K it jumped out of line ran to the back side of the field EDIT: (Jumped the fence) EDIT DONE: and went "Wee WEE" then came back like nothing happened with this BIG smile on his face. Meantime it was now our turn to do an encore......half of us were still laughing our a**es off.

Fred

Fantasia Norwich, CT. 1981

Ct. Hurricanes 1982 and 85'-89'

CT. Alumni (Couple years)

Syracuse Brigadiers 2001 Champions

Edited by Fred Steiner Jr.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, the was Rutgers, Westshore was there as well.

• 1 month later...

Re: the DCA regional....the big thing that tweaked us...You got Medals for winning! Most of us knew that we probably wouldn't go undefeated, but it HAD to happen when they gave out medals!

#1 There was a show we did at a College that year (Rutgers???).... anyway it was pouring a** rain ALL during the day Needless to say we (Hurcs) were on the field in the puddles and mud doing drill ALL day (Thanks Dennis and Neil) and ALL day long Sky was under a roof sitting on picnic tables playing "Come In From The Rain"...........###### us off! well around 4 or 5 (Something) we finished up, and being that the field was Astroturf AND the rain had just stopped...we got ready for the show, which by the way went off without a hitch! Needless to say we kicked their a** in drill that night and were FINALLY able to get a decent "Spread" between us and them.

#2 DCA Regional Championship in Rochester we finally had everything "Gel" and beat Westshore, (Who was Previously Unbeaten) so we were standing at retreat while they did all kinds of announcements, etc.... lots of corps to play off etc EDIT: We were all drinkin' our butts off because we knew we had done very well EDIT END: On the field @ retreat, the guy next to me Jay, (Shorty) starts mumbling 876r1yhgotta PFFFFFFF "what Shorty?, I gotta #### he finally yells. We said just hold it or turn around and #### here! "NOOOO theres people out here"! well,he finally said F$%K it jumped out of line ran to the back side of the field EDIT: (Jumped the fence) EDIT DONE: and went "Wee WEE" then came back like nothing happened with this BIG smile on his face. Meantime it was now our turn to do an encore......half of us were still laughing our a**es off.

Fred

Fantasia Norwich, CT. 1981

Ct. Hurricanes 1982 and 85'-89'

CT. Alumni (Couple years)

Syracuse Brigadiers 2001 Champions

Re: the DCA regional....the big thing that tweaked us...You got Medals for winning! Most of us knew that we probably wouldn't go undefeated, but it HAD to happen when they gave out medals!

Trust me dude...ya didn't miss out on much.....not to appear "Greedy" or anything, I would be willing to bet even with Gil Silva....DCA could get a better quality, longer lasting medal from another vendor type... again I don't want to be appearing Greedy!!!!!! And also better to win one than not

I am just talking about the little medal they used to hand out to the kids 20-25 yrs ago..that you pin onto your uniform that is!

:sigh: Anyway just wanted to congratulate on what a great show you guys had that year

you guys where Smokin AND Clean right from the start.....

question did you guys get an early start that year?

Fred

Trust me dude...ya didn't miss out on much.....not to appear "Greedy" or anything, I would be willing to bet even with Gil Silva....DCA could get a better quality, longer lasting medal from another vendor type... again I don't want to be appearing Greedy!!!!!! And also better to win one than not

I am just talking about the little medal they used to hand out to the kids 20-25 yrs ago..that you pin onto your uniform that is!

:sigh: Anyway just wanted to congratulate on what a great show you guys had that year

you guys where Smokin AND Clean right from the start.....

question did you guys get an early start that year?

Fred

One more rant before I go..BTW "thought that was far and away the best performance we put on that year and We Were On Fire that night" (Regionals)

One more rant before I go..BTW "thought that was far and away the best performance we put on that year and We Were On Fire that night" (Regionals)

I agree.... Hurcs were rockin' that night in Rochester!

I gotta admit.... a bunch of us Sunrisers were "rockin'" on retreat and after the show for a different reason. We were on first that night, in a 10-corps show. At a stadium which sold those big buckets of beer. Lots of time to kill, all kinds of beer available. Plus, quite possibly, other.....uhhhh.... "material."

Needless to say, several of us (well, OK....more than several) were lit up like pinball machines by the time retreat rolled around. B)

How times have changed!!!!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

I agree.... Hurcs were rockin' that night in Rochester!

I gotta admit.... a bunch of us Sunrisers were "rockin'" on retreat and after the show for a different reason. We were on first that night, in a 10-corps show. At a stadium which sold those big buckets of beer. Lots of time to kill, all kinds of beer available. Plus, quite possibly, other.....uhhhh.... "material."

Needless to say, several of us (well, OK....more than several) were lit up like pinball machines by the time retreat rolled around. B)

How times have changed!!!!

Fran

Gotta agree with that too!!! I think Everybody was jealous of W/S and their "early" start that year... then, and I beleive this too..... they all got ###### off when they passed W/S on retreat and I heard people sayin' like "Look their golf clapping us"...... I really think that was a show of respect for all the other corps BY W/S...they would have done well in DCA NOW....ahead of the times as it were Just IMHO anyway!!!!

Soooo somewhere at the meeting some Jerky Boy judge told Ray Fallon Sun was gonna be the corps to beat by DCA's...and the rest is history...we spent 2-3 weeks learning a whole new second half of the show and ignoring the 1st 1/2 you guys cleaned up real nice and passed W/S...so it ended up

1. Sunrisers

2. Westshoremen

3. Hurricanes

Think it really sucked some stupid judge ruined what coulda, woulda, shoulda...been a BIG showdown between the top three that year!!! Sigh!! So this guy supposedly said you guys had a better overall package ARRRGH!!!!!!!!

The way we played Rochester had me so excited and plus we knew we could really march...enough already Congratulations!!! :( :(

That Rutgers show was the Dream and it was held on a Sunday afternoon in late July at Rutgers Stadium. It was a hot and sunny summer day and featured a lineup of both Jr corps ( Crossmen, Bridgemen, Cadets) and basically the top 6 senior corps at the time (Sun,Sky,Cabs,Bucs,Westhore and Hercs). That Dream turned into a nightmare for the Hawthorne Caballeros as they came in dead last at that show. Someone correct me but that might be the only time the Cabs ever came in LAST at any show of 5 or more corps. The 82 Cabs beat the defending champion Hercs a month earlier.

That Rutgers show was the Dream and it was held on a Sunday afternoon in late July at Rutgers Stadium. It was a hot and sunny summer day and featured a lineup of both Jr corps ( Crossmen, Bridgemen, Cadets) and basically the top 6 senior corps at the time (Sun,Sky,Cabs,Bucs,Westhore and Hercs). That Dream turned into a nightmare for the Hawthorne Caballeros as they came in dead last at that show. Someone correct me but that might be the only time the Cabs ever came in LAST at any show of 5 or more corps. The 82 Cabs beat the defending champion Hercs a month earlier.

Dude you're thinking of a different show or year... the one I was discussing it POURED all day long til 5-6 at night.

I'm with BariBone on this one...... the 1982 Dream was at Rutgers, on a very hot Sunday afternoon. (The main reason I remember this is that we....Sunrisers....had won the Providence, RI, show the night before... then we had to haul our butts to New Jersey for the short turnaround Sunday. That hurt!) I don't remember it raining. But it was hotter than #### on that field that day.

Some bizarre score/placement results, too, at least on the senior/DCA side that day.

Fran