OK Now 2 1982 DCA Stories

To add to Bens surprise I found out about Westshores first DCA win via telephone. (Ben - it was my ride buddy Paul Gieger). Paul strung me out by listing the corps starting from last place. When he got to "In first place" he paused until I realized "Holy ####, he didn't say Westshoremen yet"...

Front page of Drum Corps News had a huge picture of the corps with big ###ed type saying something like "Westshoremen win Cifton by...". The size of the heading was DCNs way of showong something shocking had happened.

Had to be a weirder feeling then when we won our first RCA show back in 1977.... :worthy:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

similar feeling in 90 Jim, when we won the Reading show...and we finished learning 15 pages of drill that day.

we expected, oh, like 5th out 7 or 8 there.

and yes, I have that DCN....Westshore Wins Clifton by 5.25

and yes, I have that DCN....Westshore Wins Clifton by 5.25

Too bad DCN ran out of room for the next line on that headline

It was supposed to be:

WESTSHOREMEN WINS

CLIFTON BY 5.25

WTF?!?!?!?!?

^0^

everyone reading said that anyways, so there was no need to print it :P

I'm sure if "WTF" was a known abbreviation back then, they WOULD have!!! hahaha!!!

1982 was the first time I had finished last in a show with more than 5 corps in it. It was the first time the corps had admitted female members, it was the first time I had finished 6th in the prelims, There were alot of firsts. Dan Mcbride's first drill with us.

Oh yeah that last place finish was in the show in Rutgers the Dream contest. 1982 an interesting season. We finished 4th in finals. It was one of the best finals performances I had ever been part of. DCA had some very good corps that year. We struggled out of the box that year our achilles heal was our percussion section. By the time the DCA came around they were holding their own and we made a run. There haven't been many years in the last 30 that we haven't made a run. Some of the bigs corps now weren't active or around back then.

1982 plenty of good memories. was a building stone for the next decade.

I'm sure there are plenty of members of DCP that remember or their parents have relayed stories to them about the early 80's in DCA LOL

Mike Ryan

Cabs 1975-2006

Edited by Cabstuba04

I remember 82 prelims....when Cabs got the penalty for nailing Evita..........

in the park really close to the stadium during another corps ballad

I'm sure there are plenty of members of DCP that remember or their parents have relayed stories to them about the early 80's in DCA LOL

Mike Ryan

Cabs 1975-2006

Mike,

Some of us even remember being there, not all of the details, just that we were there....LOL b**bs

(good thing some one took some photos :sshh: )

Tony B)