Piccolo Sopranos

You're right and wrong, Pat.

Two-valve bugles were not legal until the 1977 season, but Zig Kanstul petitioned DCI to field test a set of American Heritage 2V horns in 1976, and the request was granted. VK was the corps to use them, as they had been Zig's test corps all through the Olds Ultratone years. (Zig was a co-founder of VK)

Neat side note to this story. Those first 2V sopranos were stamped with the Benge logo on the bells.

Garry

Thanks for the info Garry..I know that when Anaheim sold a bunch of the new 2V Benge American Heritage horns after the 77 season, a bunch of guys in MBI bought some of them. 2 guys bought sops, and 1 each of the baritones and 'stretch' french horns. I know that one of the sopranos was a Ziggy prototype that had either a .465 or .468 bore. It went through 3 of our soloists, Bill Germar, Roger Grupp and Mike Honkanen. Mike still has the horn, and it plays as sweet as it did when it was new.

Pat

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SVC '78 - '79 in "Hopak" from "Gayne Ballet Suite." Bubba Ward and Ed ??? (Sorry, can't remember his last name. :( ) BTW anyone remember the two of them wearing jester hats?

Bubb and Ed Rodriguez used them in SCV's closer of Make our Garden Grow. In Gayne Ballet (Hopak), I know that Mike McWilliams and James Jackson played them, possibly Ed and Bubba as well.

SVC '78 - '79 in "Hopak" from "Gayne Ballet Suite." Bubba Ward and Ed ??? (Sorry, can't remember his last name. :( ) BTW anyone remember the two of them wearing jester hats?

What an amazing piece (except to this day I thought it was "Gopak"...oh well).