Auditions?

Auditions for admittance to a senior corps. I've seen that Carolina Gold and the new corps in Roanoke, VA (Mountaineers) are doing this. Just wondering how widespread this is and what everyone's opinions are of it.

I'm not really ok with this idea. My thought is that the seniors were a place where anyone would be welcome, whatever their skill level. This sounds like that is no longer the case. I know it is becoming a rapidly more competitive activity, but I didn't know it had gotten this far.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know really, but I'm guessing these "auditions" are really a form of open house designed to hear everyone and place them within the section, designating parts and such, rather than excluding them from the line.

I would say that if the Kilties held auditions it would be for placement within the corps. Not so much to decide membership.

Edited by KiltieBD3

do the Reading Bucs have to hold auditions? I would expect they would with the massive corps they had this year... did they have to cut anyone?

~>conner

We have open house which is actually the beginning of a quasi, kinda' unorthodox, let's-play-nice-together audition process -- what seems to happen is that adults (for want of a better word) intelligently weed themselves out and don't generally have to be "cut" (although I've seen it happen). Most folks pretty much figure it out on their own once the numbers for each section are announced.

Edited by jojo

Similar to JoJo but ...

Returning Vets pretty much like the section they are/have been playing in.

We did have a 3rd Bari who decided to move to 2nd this year, on her own.

Bunch of late comers from last year are now in the sections they "should" have been if they had shown up earlier in the season.

but as far as auditions, the staff took the newbies to get a feeling of talent level and an idea of where best to place them. Thats it.

I auditioned two years ago, but that was a totally new horn staff and more of a get to know your talent level then "make it or not".

I would say that if the Kilties held auditions it would be for placement within the corps. Not so much to decide membership.

Correct. Membership in the corps and placement within the desired caption are two different breeds of cat.

Anyone is welcome to apply....then we go from there. The first focus is if an individual we be a good member, then placement within certain sections.

If they are a dedicated, hardworking member, they will be fine, although an individual may be asked to move to another caption section differing from their personal choosing. Most dedicated members actually unselfishly take it upon themselves without asking and move to different positions to better the corps.

Next Kiltie Kamp.....January 14th & 15th!!!

b**bs

Unfortunately when a corps has more people show up for the battery then they can march, they have to try out for spots.

Horn lines have the most potential spots, so potential members have a much better chance of just walking into the section.

Color guards usually have to tryout for weapons and dance lines.

Since senior/all age corps have size limits just like the juniors, they have to turn some people away also.

Too many potential members is a great problem to have. At the same time no one wants to tell someone that they can't march.

agreed, we had to have auditions because we had more drummers showing up than we had spots for.

I remember at Bucs in 00, we were running 2 6 man basslines on opening day