Tis the Season To Recruit

Hi all. Because most all corps are recruiting at this time, I thought I'd ask you if you had some suggestions that might help speed things along. I know some corps all pretty much all set for members, but some are still looking. I realize that it's a bit late for this idea and maybe highly impractical, but I was wondering if changing "home base" has ever helped a corps. I know some corps go hundreds of miles away from their "home" to recruit, such as Texas and Florida, but do you know of any corps that actually pulled up stakes and moved to a different state and greatly helped in recruiting members? Please share your ideas. Who knows, they just might help our activity become stronger and give more kids a great experience.

Edited by GuitarMan

I think Carolina Crown moved from North Carolina to South Carolina.

Not sure how big of a difference that makes though as they were still in the same area and by then, Crown had become a finalist calibre corps.

Hi all. Because most all corps are recruiting at this time, I thought I'd ask you if you had some suggestions that might help speed things along. I know some corps all pretty much all set for members, but some are still looking. I realize that it's a bit late for this idea and maybe highly impractical, but I was wondering if changing "home base" has ever helped a corps. I know some corps go hundreds of miles away from their "home" to recruit, such as Texas and Florida, but do you know of any corps that actually pulled up stakes and moved to a different state and greatly helped in recruiting members? Please share your ideas. Who knows, they just might help our activity become stronger and give more kids a great experience.

Southwind moved from Alabama to Kentucky, that seemed to help them.

Sky Ryders moved from Kansas to Texas, that seemed to hurt them.

I was wondering if Ohio would be a good state to move to for a corps looking to find a new home. I've often heard that there is a lot of marching talent in that state and it has quite a few large cities. It might even be the "belt buckle" of the eastern drum corps belt. People who don't quite make it at Cavies and Phantom might be close enough to this newly relocated Ohio corps. People who didn't make the cut with Glassmen and Bluecoats in Ohio are already in the state. People who received the sad news at The Cadets and Crossmen are just one state away from the new Ohio corps to tryout.

I would really think about how much your current location affects recruiting.

If its something else (and I have no idea...I dont know your corps' situation), then moving will make no difference.

There are hotbeds of talent all over the country (Indiana and Texas come to mind) that dont have an area corps (though Texas has some up and coming groups)...but realize, that though you may be able to fill your ranks with ease...a new obstacle might spring up.

I dont think there's any place that has 100% ideal conditions...if there were...there already, more then likely be a corps there right? Well...theoretically...

I was wondering if Ohio would be a good state to move to for a corps looking to find a new home. I've often heard that there is a lot of marching talent in that state and it has quite a few large cities. It might even be the "belt buckle" of the eastern drum corps belt. People who don't quite make it at Cavies and Phantom might be close enough to this newly relocated Ohio corps. People who didn't make the cut with Glassmen and Bluecoats in Ohio are already in the state. People who received the sad news at The Cadets and Crossmen are just one state away from the new Ohio corps to tryout.

Ohio is a great choice...its such a big state with lots of decent sized cities...you could probably stake out some place as your base of operations.

The state will probably have 3 open class in finals in the next few years.

Why not Michigan?...its one of the most populated states...its has the midwest's 2nd largest city?

Or Minnesotta...its so far from everyone else....the kids would be relieved to stay in state?

Western Pennsylvania might be a great choice too. Eastern Pennsylvania is YEA! territory...but the western half...which includes Pittsburgh...is ripe for the picking.

So many people travel from so far to go to divison I corps, I feel like their turnout is far more dependant on image or perception than distance; if a kid has the money to pay over $1000 in dues, (closer to $2000 with some corps) and afford to not work on weekends or all summer, they probably have the money to afford the plane/bus/train fare needed to go to whatever corps they think is best/classiest/coolest/most-######/whatever. I don't think a move would help a division I corps all that much, and probably not at all for any in the top 12 or even maybe top 18.

For division ii/iii corps it may be possible that it could help, but it would probably also have the effect of driving away all (or most) of the vets from the original area.

There also is the issue of finding a rehearsal site for a corps in a new area. There may be tons of kids ready to be recruited, but no schools or other facilities willing to take the risk to their insurance and their property to let an unknown group unaffiliated with anything they've ever heard of the stay there. And the places that would be willing to let them rehearse there may not be big enough, have enough fields, not have showering facilities, or have some other drawback.

And some of the places mentioned, such as Minnasota and Michigan seem to have drawbacks as far as the weather in the winter months. Doesn't Michigan have Dimensions, anyway?

I think Carolina Crown moved from North Carolina to South Carolina.

Not sure how big of a difference that makes though as they were still in the same area and by then, Crown had become a finalist calibre corps.

Not a real big move..FM is a Charlotte Suburb. (albeit in a different state)

The corps simply moved out to the 'burbs.