Capital Sound

Anyone know anything about Cap Sound this year? After there first camp I heard numbers were WAY down and staff wasn't filled?

I believe they just had a camp....so were numbers better? Was there an actual brass staff??

I just think its weird that they don't do the same as other corps as far as announcing caption heads, show theme, etc.

I don't hear about them much anymore? Wouldn't want them to take a dive the same here Finals come back to their home field.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't normally encourage people posting on forums such as this because they can become negative, BUT here's an update.

We had about 15-20 more people at camp this weekend and hope to do the same in January. Our recruiting managers or whatever you shall call them are both college students and are planning on doing most of the school visits during their Christmas break after the high schools are back in session. It sucks that they haven't been able to do as much yet, but it's a group effort that we are all working at. I myself go to school at UWEC and always recruit heavily in this area, but both the bands and orchestra had concerts BOTH weekends we've had camps and finals weekend this last camp. It's hard to drive 3 hours to Madison and 3 hours back to only be at camp for a few hours, not to mention gas money. We are planning on adding 5-6 people from our area in January. Our goal this yaer is to march all 34 horns that we own and I think that between 30-34 is very possible. We did have 23 last year with only 5 age-outs. The other thing is people do try out at division I corps. Some make it, some don't. They might be back in January. The number goal for entire corps is 79 I believe, but don't quote me on that. We had 38 in '04, 57 in '05, and if we grow the same amount again that puts us at 76. I'm taking a pretty positive outlook on all that. Our colorguard turnout is already larger than what we ended up marching with last year. We aged out 3 of 5 pit members, and had a great vet return from 01-03 but we are looking for more mallet players to pull off our show concept. The one thing we need, as most div. III corps, is horns. Our drumline will be pretty much the same instrumentation as last year 5-5-3 and 3-4 cymbals.

Our show concept is very cool. We cannot announce anything yet (I don't think) due to copyright stuff and/or finalizing the concept. The opener was complete and at the camp last weekend. Trust me though, it's very 2002 CS and I love it. It's going to be fun.

Brass staff is going to be fine. Beatriz George was the only one able to be there this weekend because 2 new people are from Arizona and Utah and can't be there until next camp. There are still a couple other positions that are open, being filled, and some that might return (schedules pending). Our director is being very careful in making sure that we have a capable staff who can be there as much as possible. I'm sure we'd all rather see her take her time deciding than jump on people who cannot even be there often or something.

We are very much hyping that finals are in Madison this year! More of our family and friends will be able to see our finals shows than the past few years! It is a very exciting thing and helps give us a strong reminder of our history.

SO, do not look for any diving corps from Madison this year!

We're going to do what we're here to do: MAKE MADISON PROUD!

Thanks for the inquiry, but expect positive things from CS this year.

best of luck.

Brass staff is going to be fine. Beatriz George was the only one able to be there this weekend because 2 new people are from Arizona and Utah and can't be there until next camp.

I just happen to be one of the "new people" (the one from Utah) and from talking with Sarah Teschke (the Corps Director) It sounds like their last camp went great. I'll be there from the January camp through the rest of the season. (So I know they'll have at least one person on the Brass staff.)

From what I already know about this group and the show (plus the hype of finals being in Madison), I'd be willing to put my money on them this year. But I'm biased I've always liked Capital Sound.

Bill

The MDBCA Board may have been on to something.

HUH??????? :blink::blink::blink::blink:

I think he means that the MDBCA board may have been onto something when it dropped Cap Sound. I'm not so sure about that however. Cap Sound lost most of its members after the 2003 season when it looked like they would not be around anymore. I fully believe that if the corps would have been active in November or December (instead of February) that membership would have been up in 2004, which would have placed them at nearly full capicity.

However, from what I understand Cap Sound does all of there recruitment now by Word of Mouth. Small corps cannot survive using this technique. Keith Gee, the original director of CS, would go out to a lot of schools in the madison area and around the state to recruit. I just don't think that happens anymore.

I'm glad to hear cap sound is going to be fine, but if they want to be fine for years to come they will need to revisit some of there recruitment techniques. THey no longer can simply get members because they are part of the Madison Organization or because they are the biggest "small" corps in the area.....especially with the return of the Americanos.

Actually, Canos are about the same distance from the western part of the state as CS. As for spreading by word of mouth, from what I have seen, it's the best thing for a corps on a smaller budget. It's coming from someone who has seen them in action, and it's free.

Now, looking at what's gone on for CS since '04, I think word of mouth has done a #### of a job for them. Could it have been better, yes. But it definitely could have been a lot worse.

.....especially with the return of the Americanos.

I count on one hand how many memebers were actually from wisconsin the last 2-3 years. Most of Americanos membership comes from IL and MI. They try hard to get more members from WI, but it seems like the kids just aren't interested in marching a "small" corps from WI.