Appalachian Morning

I had the condensed score with correct time sigs from the original Paul Winter notation for his small group. Basically just chord changes and time sigs. . . the opening is in 10/8. . . with snippets of 5/8. . . 12/8. . .

Opening piano lick = 000 000 00 00 groupings of eighth notes = underlying rhythm of dotted quarter, dotted quarter, 2 quarters. . . repeat pattern. . .

It's a fun piece to work on. . . I got to do it for full symphony accompanying Paul Winter's actual 5tet. . . FUN!!

Chuck Naffier

Edit: nm. Your "000 000 00 00" above threw me. My original post rendered redundant due to my confusion.

Edited by HornTeacher

Marching absurd time signatures can be fun. My high school band did Kenton's Time for a Change in 9/4 marching a 2-2-3-2 count break down for each step. The three was simply a 'drag for three counts instead of two.' Because the tune starts off with a two leading notes the DM would bark "one-two, one-two, one-two-three" we'd play the two leading notes then step off into the pattern.

One of the best marching judging tapes was a judge trying to figure out the count the entire song. Apparently the lead in notes threw him off or he didn't hear the count off or something. He loved our show and grooved on our marching though so we scored well. It was one of the few tapes our director played back for us in entirety just because it was hilarious hearing this guy go "one-two, one-two-three, ... no that's not it" for several minutes then saying "well everyone was in step and it looked great!"

We followed that with Metheny's First Circle but just marched that at tempo without trying to sweat out the time signature in the marching. The 4/4 bits we stopped in the set and did a sway back and forth before taking off again.