Parking Lot Drum Line Battles

Personally, I think BD's drums were too choked and didn't have enough snare response. They could have changed through the year, since I saw them in June. Also, Cavies are too tight for my taste. My favorite Junior Corps Snares are Cadets, (very nice snare sound), followed closely by SCV in '04. But that's just IMHO.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH, didn't Star of Indiana have some kind of wierd drumhead the year they won? They sounded really good. Can you get them anywhere? Just curious.

Hey Kev,

You can experiment around with different kinds of substrates and varnishes including the amount of guts on each drum not to mention muffling surface size and texture.

I have heard that one line tried a strip of duck tape all the way across the bottom so the snares guts would have total contact. Shipping tape might have created a brighter sound.

Don't you own all 10 of those snare drums? You could line them up and do a test against each one kind of like wine tasting. Eh.

Mom

Edited by Snapettes Mom

Hey Kev,

You can experiment around with different kinds of substrates and varnishes including the amount of guts on each drum not to mention muffling surface size and texture.

I have heard that one line tried a strip of duck tape all the way across the bottom so the snares guts would have total contact. Shipping tape might have created a brighter sound.

Don't you own all 10 of those snare drums? You could line them up and do a test against each one kind of like wine tasting. Eh.

Mom

Mom, yes I own the drums, but the players have them at home. I still have three at home. I had this funny thought of the "blind taste test" and it made me laugh. Kind of reminds me of when Frasier and Niles were competing for "Corkmaster".

OH, didn't Star of Indiana have some kind of wierd drumhead the year they won? They sounded really good. Can you get them anywhere? Just curious.

Yeah, Star used the Premier Marathon batter head on the snares for every year in their existence with exception to '93 when they used Tenduras. Sadly Premier no longer makes drum heads so the Marathon is no longer being made, and in my opinion that was the best mylar marching snare batter head ever made.

Parking lot battles would be cool.

But having every drumline "throw down" serious notes on the field, during their shows, would be cooler. (see the concurrent "drum solo" thread)

Even though I am 100% for drum battles.....a serious "throw down" during the show on the field would be my "happy medium".... B)

Edited by felixh

Even though I am 100% for drum battles.....a derious "throw down" during the show on the field would be my "happy medium".... B)

:laugh: ^0^ :rolleyes: That's what I'm talkin' about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!