DCI Finals Attendance Figures

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be a master of the obvious..but..

DCI finals take place annually in August..in the dog days of summer.

Except of maybe Nome, AK it is hot everywhere in the USA! Finals day 2005, anyone?..In New England no less.

It was hot in KC, Madison, and Buffalo, too.

Bottom line..Summer=hot.

Agreed - it's hot in August, and in certain years (i.e., 88 - summer of nation-wide drought and heat wave) it was hot everywhere. But on the whole, it was hotter in the southern championships than the northern ones. It may have been hot during the day up north some years, but it cooled off to more tolerable levels in the evening. That even happened in Orlando.

Milder weather may be one of the biggest plusses about a potential west coast championship.

i don't remember snow but i beleive there was close to a frost that night. generally after finals we would go back the school, shower, chang and pretty much dispersed outside and hang out till all hours of the night. but that night was tooooooo cold to hang outside.

Yes, 82 Finals was COLD, and I do remember snowflakes.

It made Crossmen's "Russian Christmas Music" a great fit for the evening.

I think it is going to be hard to prove what figures are correct, especially from 20+ years ago. A friend who works with DCI told me that the largest audience to date was in 1981 Montreal.

As a person who witnessed it on the field....AWESOME! :ph34r:

There is a picture of the Olympic Stadium scoreboard in my 1981 Phantom Regiment yearbook. It was taken when they put the attendance up.

The number they flashed was 35,947.

But I remember snow...am I right? :ph34r:

We had a brief snow flurry at Olympic Stadium when we rehearsed there on the day of Finals in '82. We joked about a snowy day in August and our chances of winning. Oh well.

I know that's why I said that.. :P

Hey everyone talks about how hot it was in Jackson and the rain that came that night, what about Miami in 83, wasn't that hotter?

It was definitely more humid. We were usually drenched with sweat 10 minutes into our marching rehearsal. We stayed in Davie, FL and it would rain between 2 and 3pm every day. You could set your watch to it.

Not to be a master of the obvious..but..

DCI finals take place annually in August..in the dog days of summer.

Except of maybe Nome, AK it is hot everywhere in the USA! Finals day 2005, anyone?..In New England no less.

It was hot in KC, Madison, and Buffalo, too.

Bottom line..Summer=hot.

I needed a jacket in 81, 82, 92, 95, 99, 02......

~G~

1992 Finals in Madison was downright chilly. Coldest finals I can remember.

it was in the 40's by retreat