Trademark Tunes & Tributes

Might be a tangent to this topic, but here goes.....wouldn't it be nice this coming season to see a couple of the original DCI founding corps play the original Trooper "Battle Hymn" in a retreat/concert situation; just as a tribute to the absent corps (and to remind the community of the plans for the 11th's return in '07?) :blink:

(hint...maybe SCV or Cavies...)

Edited by prodigal bari

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm.....................for me, it's "Send in the Clowns"

How 'bout some more??

27th Lancers "The Impossible Dream"

Now here's someone who knows the secret.

The Impossible Dream was played as a closer by the IC Reveries in pre-27th days though the corps theme song was My Reverie (a variation of Debussy's 1890 piano solo Rêverie). Then in 1968 and 1969 as the 27th Lancers they continued to play The Impossible Dream. After not making the VFW finals in 1969, George B gave the "Imossible Dream" speach back at the hotel and vowed that the next time anyone was to hear them play The Impossible Dream was when the corps won Nationals. The corps continued to keep the song in the repertoire but never played it in public waiting for the day to arrive. Danny Boy (and arguably Crown Imperial) was the corps trademark that the public knew but The Impossible Dream was played at rehersals for years when nobody was looking. The National Championship never came while the corps was active but even in '94 we learned the song. After the '94 Foxboro performance, Rick Fogarty and I went off in a corner behind the buses and played a teary eyed version (Jim Wedge heard us). For us the '94 nationals was close enough to an impossible dream. After all, who would have ever thought the Lancers would rise from the dead and a bunch of old timers like us would have a chance to go on last at Nationals so many years after aging out. That was indeed an impossible dream come true!

Phantom Regiment "We Take Second So You Don't Have To".....Heh heh J/K B)

haha! That's hilarious! in a joking matter, back to the topic

Troopers - How the West was Won... not only a theme in several shows, but the corps song B)

Battle Hymn of the Republic / Battle Hymn Chorale

Ecstacy of Gold

When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Last year at our home show in Casper we played Battle Hymn Chorale in our horn arc warm up and it brought tears to Jason our caption head, who was in the Troopers A corps from 1984- 1986.

SCV - Send in the Clowns

Bottle Dance

Phantom of the Opera

Cavaliers - Rainbow

We all remember that "back in the day" most corps played trademarks tunes or "tags" that other corps would respectfully honor and not copy.

I also enjoyed when corps played tribute to their competitors by incorporating snippets of other corps' songs. Some examples that come to mind are:

Spirit of Atlanta-2002? Danny Boy(27th), Send in the Clowns(Santa Clara), and ???

Muchachos-'71 or '72-did a mock parade with some Yankee Doodle(Garfield), Baby Elephant Walk(Blue Rock)

Kilties- '68 or '69-Strike Up the Band- Big Spender(St. Joes of Batavia), & ????

Caballeros-'75? NY/NY tag in TSOP? Brazil?

If anyone can provide the exact years, corps, and songs associated with those corps my feeble recollections would appreciate the information. (Rob H????). Please add additional "tributes" that you remember.

I believe you are talking about "Signature" songs and if thaat's indeed what you were looking for I'll give you a couple of the "No Bullshi^^ers that I Know are correct... can't believe some of these posts here!

SCV Send In The Clowns

27 Danny Boy

Boston Conquest

Madison You'll Never Walk Alone

Cavies Somewhere Over The Rainbow

Spirit Georgia

AND Seniors:

Cabs Bully (Rumps)

Hurcs Mag 7

Kilts Auld Lang Syne

Sorry, not aware of any others!!!!!!!!!

I can't watch Felix The Cat cartoons without thinking of The Ferns playing that too hip kitty's theme in that Seal Beach, CA, parade back there in the thrilling days of yesterday.

Back when the comment was made about the bass drum logo: "Hey! That doesn't look like a Fern leaf!"

RON HOUSLEY

I can't watch Felix The Cat cartoons without thinking of The Ferns playing that too hip kitty's theme in that Seal Beach, CA, parade back there in the thrilling days of yesterday.

Back when the comment was made about the bass drum logo: "Hey! That doesn't look like a Fern leaf!"

RON HOUSLEY

I remember that parade.... ^0^

RON HOUSLEY

Man, I am getting old. When I first read your post I thought you were talking about "Fritz the Cat". Heh...

And about that leaf.................. B)

Rice