Bob Costas' Commentary on the Opening Ceremonies

Brian Williams interjections were more annoying. Everytime Costas would give us a nugget.....Williams would jump in and remind everyone why we hate that country and are currently bombing or should be bombing them.

I liked the Ferrari :)

ditto on the Ferrari, and Brian Williams need to stop tanning... he looked like a raccoon!!

This wasn't even in the same universe as some "bizarre" opening ceremonies...

The strangest was Albertville 1992

Edited by JMS0527

I'm sorry, but some of that (most of it) was way over the top, to the point of absurdity. I was laughing out loud at many points during the Opening Ceremony broadcast. Don't people realize that there is such a thing as taking abstraction too far?

You know, I have a feeling that these voice-over commentaries have a big influence in how we perceive these things. I really wish these commentators would just shut the heck up and let us watch the ceremony. But no, everything has to be explained to us because we're too dumb to understand. :laugh:

I really began to notice this after I moved to Canada and started watching the CBC's coverage of the same events. Occasionally I'll flip back and forth between CBC and NBC, just to compare what they're showing, and what they're saying about it. The CBC commentators certainly have their inane moments; seems to be the curse of "color" commentary. But by and large, they're a lot more restrained than U.S. commentators. They don't seem to feel the need to infuse DRAMA into every ever-lovin' moment. Especially when the moment has enough drama of its own, thank you very much.

Watching the CBC's coverage of the Opening Ceremony, I enjoyed it (as is obvious by the thread I started). So that makes me wonder how much of that is watching it through the filter of a different, more laid-back network production.

..."And now the tree-people are entering as we transition to the Alps"

I'm sorry, but some of that (most of it) was way over the top, to the point of absurdity. I was laughing out loud at many points during the Opening Ceremony broadcast. Don't people realize that there is such a thing as taking abstraction too far?

Well, certainly the trees and Alps were abstract. Ever try to fit dozens of trees and an actual mountain range inside a sports stadium?

This wasn't even in the same universe as some "bizarre" opening ceremonies...

The strangest was Albertville 1992

Remember the "Bungee Ballet?"

I don't understand how people wearing tree costumes is in any way abstract. The costumes refer to something readily identifiable by anybody who has seen a tree, which I hope is everybody. Same thing with the bigger picture they helped to form: the Italian Alps. Silly? Maybe. Abstract? Not at all. On the other hand, you'd be hard pressed to find a drum corps show in which much of the visual program is not abstract, no matter the era.