Bob Costas' Commentary on the Opening Ceremonies

Pardon me if I was the only person that thought of this, but I couldn't help but compare Bob Costas' commentary explaining what was going on during the Olympics' Opening Ceremonies to some of the marching band shows that I have seen/heard in BOA... Is this what we have to look forward to as the future of drum corps?

"And now the tree-people are entering as we transition to the Alps"

I'm sorry, but some of that (most of it) was way over the top, to the point of absurdity. I was laughing out loud at many points during the Opening Ceremony broadcast. Don't people realize that there is such a thing as taking abstraction too far?

(Obviously BOA bands don't think so)

Edited by TTitans909

Apparently you haven't watched too many Olympic ceremonies, as most of them for the past decade or more have been filled with symbolism that makes you scratch your head.

Some of it is weird, but it is really cool how they do try to portray their country's values, landscape, and attitude all through the visual medium.

Apparently you haven't watched too many Olympic ceremonies, as most of them for the past decade or more have been filled with symbolism that makes you scratch your head.

Some of it is weird, but it is really cool how they do try to portray their country's values, landscape, and attitude all through the visual medium.

Bob Costas has always believed in "more is more." He never...EVER shuts up. Take the Cadets' 1996 Olympics: they were barely audible due to his yakking about absolutely nothing pertinent.

In the old (and missed) PBS format, Steve Rondinaro (etal) used to talk during performances. Then it was only before/after. He'd comment on every score during retreat. Then it was only after each score (1999 the exception... when Madison leapt a spot, and the crowd wouldn't let up!). Meaning: from 1982 through the 2000's, the broadcast evolved into a more "let them listen" format. With ESPN, it was hard to tell, as the performances shown didn't make 50% of the danged telecast!

In 1982 DCI commentators tried a different format for PBS...however fortunate for us, it only lasted that one year. They made comments all throughout each corps performance....very distracting and annoying!

I didn't like that segment either with the tree people. The best parts were when they did the human ski and the heart beating as well as the flag feature. Oh, and the human dove was cool too!

In 1982 DCI commentators tried a different format for PBS...however fortunate for us, it only lasted that one year. They made comments all throughout each corps performance....very distracting and annoying!

Couldn't remember the year, thanks. Most annoying DCI broadcst ever! Reminded me of the old PDQ Bach routine with the William Tell Overture excepts Pete Ss' commentary was funny. What the heck were those guys thinking!

I'm aware that most Olympic ceremonies were/are like that. I just hadn't thought about for oh,you know, 4 years or so (missed 04 because I was marching)... So seeing it again tonight reminded me again.

yes, i've been at both denver and boston... boston's 04 was the only show that was really bad... some cavies' shows in the early 00s seemed a bit ponderous, but that had nothing to do with narration...

Brian Williams interjections were more annoying. Everytime Costas would give us a nugget.....Williams would jump in and remind everyone why we hate that country and are currently bombing or should be bombing them.

I liked the Ferrari :)