Cadillac of the Skies

The melody does appear to be based off of the John Williams' theme used in the movie Empire of the Sun (it seems only one note was changed at the end).

But to be fair and accurate, the melody is NOT from the track entitled "Cadillac of the Skies," but rather from the track entitled "Toy Planes, Home and Hearth." It is a common misconception about that piece of music the Cadets have played over the years.

How did we go from such a nice moment to arguing about beer companies and who they advertise too?

Can't good enough be left alone sometimes? :(

We'll get your approval from now on. :P

And yeah, it's not Cadillac of the Skies, but it is a nice piece.

The melody does appear to be based off of the John Williams' theme used in the movie Empire of the Sun (it seems only one note was changed at the end).

But to be fair and accurate, the melody is NOT from the track entitled "Cadillac of the Skies," but rather from the track entitled "Toy Planes, Home and Hearth." It is a common misconception about that piece of music the Cadets have played over the years.

Umm... the melody is in both songs, and the version the Cadets play is taken directly from Cadillac of the Skies

Umm... the melody is in both songs, and the version the Cadets play is taken directly from Cadillac of the Skies

The version the Cadets play is based off the "concert suite" that Williams uses for concerts and such when he was conducting the Boston Pops. However, the track "Cadillac of the Skies" on the actual MOVIE soundtrack sounds nothing like what the Cadets play, and the actual melody itself is from the track entitled "Toy Planes, Home and Hearth." I'm talking about the actual movie soundtrack, which is the original source music. I can personally care less what they call it, I love that music. :)

The version the Cadets play is based off the "concert suite" that Williams uses for concerts and such when he was conducting the Boston Pops. However, the track "Cadillac of the Skies" on the actual MOVIE soundtrack sounds nothing like what the Cadets play, and the actual melody itself is from the track entitled "Toy Planes, Home and Hearth." I'm talking about the actual movie soundtrack, which is the original source music. I can personally care less what they call it, I love that music. :)

I have a copy of Cadillac of the Skies from the actual movie soundtrack and the beginning sounds exactly like what the Cadets play (along with the melody repeated for basically the entire piece). My copy matches up exactly with the sample here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002LD...5Fencoding=UTF8 and that claims to be the original movie soundtrack. Unfortunately for my argument that sample is the only part of the entire version I have that is not based almost exactly on the melody the Cadets play, but even then you can tell it is based on the same melody.

I've not gotten around to watching Empire of the Sun yet, but everything I can find points to the Cadets playing Cadillac of the Skies. If it's truly the case then can you point me in a direction that will show me that you are right?

Wow I'm not sure I really even care anymore b**bs , but for clarity sake...

The confusion lies in the fact that Williams wrote a concert piece from Empire of the Sun called "Cadillac of the Skies" for use with the Boston Pops in concert. These are fully developed stand-alone listening pieces that are independent of the actual plot and action taking place in the film like other movie cues on soundtracks. If the beginning of the version you have sounds exactly like what the Cadets play, then that's the concert version and not the actual film cue from the soundtrack.

(You will often find "Cadillac" on Williams' Greatest Hits or Spielberg Collaboration CD's. To date, I have never found the original "Cadillac" as used in the film on any CD other than the original soundtrack.)

This particular concert selection, when compared to what is actually used in the movie Empire of the Sun, most closely resembles the track entitled "Toy Planes, Home and Hearth." The main melody we're talking about is introduced in that track. (Note that the tracks on the original soundtrack CD are not in chronological order as they appear in the actual film, then again one would need to see the film to know this.)

For some reason unknown to me, Williams decided to name the concert selection "Cadillac of the Skies," even though there is another totally different track by that name on the original soundtrack. Having just listened to it, I can say with 100% certainty that what the Cadets play in no way resembles that piece of music. In fact, that main melody of "Toy Planes..." is nowhere to be found in the actual movie cue of "Cadillac."

The Cadets version is based off of the concert piece. If you like, I can email you mp3's of what I'm talking about. It's pretty clear when you hear it.

(Empire of the Sun is one of my favorite films, and that soundtrack is awesome! I know that Jay Bocook is a big fan of it, and has spoken about using some other pieces in a show. No coincedence that "Jim's New Life" from that movie was heard in some of the clips the Cadets released of their 2006 opener.)

Edited by rut-roh