DrumCorps vs Band Show

That's why you should have seen Lassiter in 2002.

I saw Lassiter in 2002. I will gladly offer the exception with this show. Completely incredible!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Lassiter in 2002. I will gladly offer the exception with this show. Completely incredible!

Glad you liked it. Marching this show was completely amazing, and Jay Bocook did an incredible job with the music.

Maybe from a design standpoint some of the best bands out there might stand a chance of hanging somewhere at DCI finals. But get a BOA video and watch feet. Even the best bands never have everyone in step the whole show. It's easy to BOA and be overwhelmed by the power of 200, 300, or more on the field. But when you look at individual movement technique, and especially the composition of what the colorguard is doing or the skill set of what the percussionists are doing, there really is absolutely no comparison to the corps at DCI finals.

Maybe from a design standpoint some of the best bands out there might stand a chance of hanging somewhere at DCI finals. But get a BOA video and watch feet. Even the best bands never have everyone in step the whole show. It's easy to BOA and be overwhelmed by the power of 200, 300, or more on the field. But when you look at individual movement technique, and especially the composition of what the colorguard is doing or the skill set of what the percussionists are doing, there really is absolutely no comparison to the corps at DCI finals.

</thread>

For a top 3 BOA band at Grand Nationals - I would actually say 10-12. Especially Lassiter 2002 (the last year they attanded and won). In fact, my exact words after seeing their prelims run was "that would have made DCI finals". From there, I believe there are MANY MANY MANY MANY bands on the level of...mmm...maybe 17th-24th place corps level. A select few on the 13th through 16th place level (perhaps most BOA GN finalists). NONE though at the level of a 1st-9th level corps (at least not that I have ever seen).

On whose sheets?

This is all apples vs. oranges. Band contests and drum corps contests give different weight to different things in the scoring system.

The percussion programs of the top bands I have seen (i.e. a couple of recent BOA Grand Nationals finals) aren't even in the ball-park for content (i.e. virtually no multiple-stroke parts for their small battery sections). Winds, despite their sheer numbers overwhelming that of division I drum corps, don't even match the dynamic range of division II drum corps. In contrast to your assessments, one could just as easily contend that these bands would have a tough time making the division II/III finals cut - depending on what criteria they are judged on.

i am going to put my two cents in this and say that some marching bands can kill drum corps. they could finish in the top 12 easily. check out some of these Marching Bands from Michigan http://www.michcompband.org/Championships/...als-I-IIpdf.pdf

Apples and Oranges again. That doesn't impress me or tell me anything.

I agree with those that said the very TOP level shows from HS bands are being executed cleaner both visually and musicaly than the lower level Div. I corps. Lassiter 2002 better or worse than Kawanis Kavaliers in 2005? No comparison. Speaking only in terms of execution and show design. Heck, Lassiter had much more emotional impact on me than most of the lower level shows (second half of disk 3 and all of disk 4, to provide some reference). But I don't think it matters. No HS kid WANTS their band to be better than a corps. It's us who look up. Drum corps is the epitome of music in motion. That is the fact. A strong HS program has the chance of exposing you to corps and acting as a springboard of sorts.

Not using names or corps or bands....(to protect the innocent)

I have been a corps director and a band director. Without a doubt there are bands that can compete with corps below 10th place , and many bands can very possibly beat them; ESPECIALLY in the creation of effect, design components, creativty etc...

Bottom line...band or corps...EXCELLENCE IS EXCELLENCE...good bands with good instruction and creativity can create excellence in playing, marching and design wheather it is in public school or with a drum corps.

If a 13-17 drum corps lacks excellence in design, instruction, and talent of the performer; a band will beat them...the answer is simple when you look at this that way. It does not matter if they are holding a clarinet, a g-bugle, a Bb horn or an opheclyde for that matter.

The thing that kept me doing corps for 19 years was the level of precision and focus you can get out of kids from the ages of 18-21.

HOWEVER if you took a 13-17th place open class corps...(most corps at this level have approx 40- 50% of their kids high school age)

And you took a strong HS band program and rehearsed them the same hours....my money would go with the band beating the corps almost every time.