Treatment of DCI member and non-member corps

What a great topic............ and in my eyes its well overdue.............

I can see what the board of directors are trying and have acheived but here is my pennies worth......

OK back in the good old days i remember that DCI finals was a pure knock out competition and also open to any corps not just in the US or Canada but to Europe etc etc, I find it sad and frustrating that DCI has stuck to its US roots and has closed its door to what I call the elite corps....

but here is my suggestion :-

DCI revert back to the original 3 day finals getting rid of Div III and Div II, any International Corps from Europe has a chance of entering DCI finals, this brings many bonuses for DCI and individual corps in that I think crowd attendances would go up and also that means the audiance get to see corps that they wouldnt want to watch or dream of watching (admit it we are all out there), also this gives corps like the Troopers (who in my eyes are one of the originals of DCI) still have DCI status.

I am sorry if this is slightly of topic but I dont know where else i could put this comment.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of starting an argument (and really, I'm not aiming for that, I promise).. I've got to say this one thing:

Whenever I read the word "revert" or "return" or the phrase "go back to the way it was when..", I get a little bit of the heebie-jeebies.

See, there's a reason we left "that way" in the first place.. in some way or another, it wasn't working.. for every person who thinks "that way" was great, there's an equal number of people who say, "I got screwed under 'that way' and we should never go back to that!"

Progress is progress.

They say you can never go home again... and in most cases, you probably shouldn't, anyway.

Stef

One obvious thing worth mentioning....

look at where their finals site has been. Aside from no longer even being ALLOWED to qualify to compete in division one (where many of them in the past did very well), finals is held at a crappy high school stadium, that turns out to be worse than 50% of the high school stadiums where shows are held throughout the regular season. Finals in 2003 was at a small high school, with a huge track seperating the field from the stands, and the field wasn't even very well kept. In past years as well, recordings weren't good, the finals DVD isn't nearly as well made or integrated, and housing sites seemed to be a lot further from the show sites. That's not even mentioning where I remember us having to park (and occasionally warmup, too) in '03....ridiculous walks to the stadium.

Yeah, that is a big part of the letter I wrote to JW in 2004. Basically I said, we tried the new schedule in Orlando, it failed miserably. Why are we doing it again, just now making it worse by moving finals to a completely different (small) stadium? Div 2/3 proved in 02 that they could pack the stands if given the chance.

Basically his answer was "It's what the board voted for."

Yeah, okay. Thanks.

But are they going to be performing at camp Randall this year? I hope so.

See, there's a reason we left "that way" in the first place.. in some way or another, it wasn't working..

Actually I don't think that was the case as far as finals. I think it was more of a "you didn't tour all summer like a D I" which means you can't play. I can see the merits of rewarding the ones who do tour all summer by not allowing them to be beaten by a D II but it still seems kinda unfair. Semi-elitest.

Edited by WWonka

Yeah, that is a big part of the letter I wrote to JW in 2004. Basically I said, we tried the new schedule in Orlando, it failed miserably. Why are we doing it again, just now making it worse by moving finals to a completely different (small) stadium? Div 2/3 proved in 02 that they could pack the stands if given the chance.

Yeah, okay. Thanks.

Well, what would be your complaint with JW?

Fact of the matter is, the corps directors make the policy decisions in II/III, not JW. Division I is run the same way - the directors decide what they want, not Dan Acheson.

Yeah, okay. Thanks.

Okay.. so he did answer your questions but not with the answers you wanted? Seems to me your beef should be with the DII/III directors, not JW..

But I do understand how people tend to gravitate towards having one person to focus their angst and frustration on in this activity.. (kind of like folks do with Dan Acheson and DCI)..

*edit* DARN YOU KEN! You beat me to the comment!

Stef

Edited by ScribeToo

Whenever I read the word "revert" or "return" or the phrase "go back to the way it was when..", I get a little bit of the heebie-jeebies.

See, there's a reason we left "that way" in the first place.. in some way or another, it wasn't working.. for every person who thinks "that way" was great, there's an equal number of people who say, "I got screwed under 'that way' and we should never go back to that!"

Progress is progress.

They say you can never go home again... and in most cases, you probably shouldn't, anyway.

You wouldn't have said that right after 1983.

Change is not always progress. DCI was willing to admit that after 1983, the year when class A finalists were chosen as the corps placing 17th-26th in a prelim show with corps of all divisions mixed together.

Well, what would be your complaint with JW?

Fact of the matter is, the corps directors make the policy decisions in II/III, not JW. Division I is run the same way - the directors decide what they want, not Dan Acheson.

Well, he is the D2/3 representative, so he seems like he would be the best source for what the motivations of the board were. I didn't take the time to write him a letter just so he could state the obvious. I'm not an idiot.

Also, I don't think it was the 2/3 board that came up with the idea. It was DCI. And since JW is the liaison, he should be able to explain why it was presented in the first place.

And there were other issues that I addressed, such as the fact that Div. 2/3 Finals weren't on any of DCI's calenders at a pretty late point in the season, even though everything was finalized. There were a couple other things that he just gave me BS answers just like the schedule thing.

Okay.. so he did answer your questions but not with the answers you wanted? Seems to me your beef should be with the DII/III directors, not JW..

But I do understand how people tend to gravitate towards having one person to focus their angst and frustration on in this activity.. (kind of like folks do with Dan Acheson and DCI)..

*edit* DARN YOU KEN! You beat me to the comment!

Stef

Apparently you don't remember this, but *YOU* were the one who told me to write to him in the first place.