Pedal Note Fingering

BeachDrums

Sorry to take up space for such a rather insignificant question, but I'm fairly new to the trumpet and I can't seem to find the fingering for the low notes.

I know F# and F are 123, but could someone "show me the way to C? Yes, I have looked on the web, but sites assume everyone knows the fingering. My chart in my book only goes to F#

Also, while I'm at it, What's it called when the trumpet sounds like a human voice in vibrato? How is it done on the trumpet? I know these are basic questions, but I'm a rookie; it's my job to ask questions like these. :worthy:

Edited by HISop

Sorry to take up space for such a rather insignificant question, but I'm fairly new to the trumpet and I can't seem to find the fingering for the low notes.

I know F# and F are 123, but could someone "show me the way to C? Yes, I have looked on the web, but sites assume everyone knows the fingering. My chart in my book only goes to F#

You will never need to "play" anything lower than a pedal f. If you ever do encounter a pedal f in a piece of music you should kick both slides out as far as possible (practice this with a tuner so you KNOW where the F is)... Then again if you are just playing pedal tones to warm down or for emboucher excercises(Balanced Emboucher) they should be played using normal fingerings. so from low F# (123), F (1), E(12), Eb(23), D(13, Db(123), C(0)... You can actually go down a whole other octave (Double pedal C!) if applying the BE technique correctly. You may need to lower your jaw and extend it a bit to get down in the pedal range but in order to do it properly you must keep your emboucher set (dont let it get loose and flappy). I suggest you check out the Trumpet Herald website... www.trumpetherald.com

There is an entire forum on there devoted to the study of Claude Gordon's Balanced Emboucher technique that goes VERY in depth with pedal tones! Several professional(Manny Laureno, Peter Bond, Bob Odneal -just to name a few) players post on that forum and often have great insight for begginers and amatures alike regarding proper techniques for any task on the horn!

Also, while I'm at it, What's it called when the trumpet sounds like a human voice in vibrato? How is it done on the trumpet? I know these are basic questions, but I'm a rookie; it's my job to ask questions like these. :worthy:

Pedal tones are good for your chops. You have to keep at it. They don't come easily. You can play Pedal C open, like Low C, then use the same fingering for a C scale. It takes time. I play Pedal tones everyday. Makes your chops more flexible.

You can also play low F# with 2nd valve.

My Vibrato, when used, is a very slight shaking of the horn. Some musicians can play Vibrato by using air control. Vibrato should not be used in an ensemble. Only during solo's.

Incidently, the Vibrato King would be Mr. Donny Allen. He'll learn ya.

Keep pedal tones in your daily routine.

Vibrato should not be used in an ensemble. Only during solo's.

Thank you for saying this. There are so many people who do not understand this to be part of brass playing. In large sections, vibrato makes things sound out of tune. It can be different with orchestral sections or woodwinds, but on the drum corps field, this is the way it should be, as far as I'm concerned.

Pedal tones are good for your chops. You have to keep at it. They don't come easily. You can play Pedal C open, like Low C, then use the same fingering for a C scale. It takes time. I play Pedal tones everyday. Makes your chops more flexible.

You can also play low F# with 2nd valve.

My Vibrato, when used, is a very slight shaking of the horn. Some musicians can play Vibrato by using air control. Vibrato should not be used in an ensemble. Only during solo's.

Incidently, the Vibrato King would be Mr. Donny Allen. He'll learn ya.

Keep pedal tones in your daily routine.

I think Nick covered it. :)

In theory, whatever fingerings from tuning C to low C can and probably should be used for all octaves above and blow those notes. Although when you get to the double pedals it varies greatly between horns. I've seen trombone players add roughly two halfsteps fingering wise to reach the designated pedal. But technically if you can play that low, it really doesn't matter what fingering you use. You'll play it one way or another.