Garfield Cadets 1984 West Side Story

I've been asked to get specific with the selections within Garfield Cadets' 1984 rendition of West Side Story. Can any of you help with any of the following? Please feel free to get very specific with your knowledge of the individual selections.

•Maria: (I hear nothing additional.)

•Jet Song (The aggressive piece...I never knew what this one was named, but it sounds as if it's all from the same source. I'm wondering if it's all the same in the second part of the piece, where the contras have the walking figure. And then there's the third part, when the marching mallets take over the melody.)

•The humming section...It sounds to me like the beginning of "America."

•America

•Brief intro of "Tonight" into the following.

•The mellophone solo and the subsequent full brass melody near the beginning is "I Have a Love."

•Tonight (I'm unsure about the aggressive intro, which I know as "A Man Like That." Is that the actual title (of the song where the girls are singing, "A man like that would kill your brother...)?

•Tonight (To the end of the show.)

Isn't the Jet Song the whole "when you're a jet you're a jet all the way..."?? They didn't play that in 84.

I always thought the piece immediately after Maria to begin the show was "The Rumble." The part where the walking bassline comes in is from the Overture/Prologue.

The part where they sing before America is from America. I'm pretty sure the repeated triplet passage in the pit was used in the original musical as a set up to the actual song, but I know that whole sequence including the big brassy intro was definitely used in the Stan Kenton version of WSS.

The aggressive stuff from the last two minutes is from the Quintet, which is many separate melodies from other songs sung simultaneously by different members of the cast...the Jets, Sharks, Maria and Tony, Anita. Then they get to the big hit from "Tonight" to end the show.

I always thought the piece immediately after Maria to begin the show was "The Rumble." The part where the walking bassline comes in is from the Overture/Prologue.

Actually, I always thought the part after Maria was the mambo section.. I think it's just called "Dance at the Gym" and it includes the Mambo section and the ensuing fight.

Stef

"Maria"

"Rumble/Prologue"

"America"

"I Have A Love"

"Tonight"

Actually, I always thought the part after Maria was the mambo section.. I think it's just called "Dance at the Gym" and it includes the Mambo section and the ensuing fight.

Stef

They didn't play the piece that is labeled "Dance at the Gym" on the new CD.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserv...wma_001_005/103

This is the piece in the movie that opens the whole Gym sequence.

"Maria"

"Rumble/Prologue"

"America"

"I Have A Love"

"Tonight"

This is pretty much correct. To get REALLY technical, those of us in the corps referred to the closer as "Finale," not "Tonight."

Oh puuhhlease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 84 Garfield is one of the best shows/corps EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub::rolleyes:

:blink::wub::huh::wub::worthy::blink::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Woops, edit! sorry Dave, didn't notice j/k!!!

Heh....you obviously don't know the long running gag about this between me and Dave! This one's famous on the BD boards!

It's even referenced on one of Mike Boo's DCI columns!

sigh.jpg

My precious....myyyyyyy....precioussssssss....