DCI Today and Div II/III

MCA

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe 2000 was the last year the top 2/3 corps got to compete in Quarters. In 2001 they started doing exhibition before Saturday Finals for the 2 champions. But now that 2/3 Finals are on Saturday morning, they stopped that as well.

Sorry, my DCI Today subscription has been sporadic, so I have to ask this question.

Seems to me that DCI is still doing a good job keeping II/III included in the "news" section of the website. I know DCI Today never had that same degree of balance, but it was much better than, say, the recent TV broadcasts which make no mention of II/III's existence. What's it like now - still a happy medium, or like the broadcasts?

Yes, in the last couple of years dci.org has been doing a MUCH better job of covering 2/3 on the website. That's huge. And if I remember correctly, that might have been in response to a big discussion on DCP and lots of letters, etc. I'm pretty sure the Finals broadcast was included in that effort though. *shrug* who knows.

But definitely make your opinion heard.

I think 2001 was the last year for II/III corps to go to quarters.

II and III Champions used to always exhibition at DCI Finals

In 1993, We (Crown) were Division II Champs, made quarterfinals, and then did the exhibition on Saturday night, at the start of Finals

You would think that building up a solid base of Div II/III corps would only improve the quality of the Div I corps, promoting the entire drum corps activity (and DCI) even more.

But sadly, I think there is some red tape and politics here...

I think 2001 was the last year for II/III corps to go to quarters.

I think it was 2002 actually, with Magic making the 99.050 as Div. II champions and then making Div. I finals.

You would think that building up a solid base of Div II/III corps would only improve the quality of the Div I corps, promoting the entire drum corps activity (and DCI) even more.

But sadly, I think there is some red tape and politics here...

:worthy:

i agree w/ every single word you just said

it's always about the money, unfourtunately