Asymmetric Mouthpiece

Pizazzman

Alright, a while back I stumbled across a website advertising asymmetric trumpet mouthpieces. I checked it out and waited until I had the money to buy one and try it. Well, I got it the other day and wow! It is such an improvement, I'm still just learning trumpet but it has already improved my range and is allowing me to be able to play new excercises that I couldn't play before. It's great! Has anyone else out there seen these or used them before? If so, what are your oppinions? Seems to me that this mouthpiece has great application in the drum corps world being that it's designed to significantly improve range and endurance without sacrificing tone quality. For more info go to the site below. Again, let me know what you all think.

Asymmetric-mouthpiece.com

p.s. I just realized that this probably belongs in the brass forum, sorry to all who play in other sections.

Sounds interesting... $69.50... I'm so cheap! lol I guess considering my Bach was almost $50 that's not that much more. And hey...if it works... I'm sure it would be worth it. Sounds worth a try! B)

A question you have to remember is: Is the mouthpiece what made the difference or was it a new mindset? You know, the kind of thing where you are wanting the improvement and now that you've got the new equipment you push harder for the it.

It can be either/or/both. Whatever the case, practice practice practice!

Edited by ContraMan

I thought the asymmetrics were kind of a gimmick, like tone enhancers and what not.

As far as I know, the assymetrics that I have seen affect tone and what not because of the way they make your lips vibrate

In a standard mouth piece the weight and shape is evenly distributed so it is up to the player to properly set the emoucher etc.

Whereas, with an assymetric its easier to set the proper lip and pressure distribution, which naturally improves tone, range, and flexibility. Your top lip is really the only vibrating lip for trumpet (the bottom one is important too, and really good tone results from both lips creating excellent vibration), but for all points and purposes the bottom lip takes the abuse, and the top lip vibrates. In an assymetric (again I didn't even bother to go to the website, but this is just from an understanding of mouthpieces I seem that are assymetric) mouthpiece you automatically free up the top lip to vibrate. This creates better tone and range and flexibility.

This is probably totally wrong though.

But this is how I understand the principles of assymetric mouthpieces.

Cheers

I just read the article and the website.

This is essentially what I am talking about.

There are also other mouthpieces that don't have the same modifications to radius and what not, but are weighted assymetrically.

As far as I know they perform essentially the same type of deal.

If you really want to know what the latest development in brass mouthpieces is, go to www.monette.net. I'll let you all know how my Monette Prana MFII plays when I get it in 8-12 weeks. B)

Hey, Larrie,

What prompted you to go for that particular mouthpiece? Have you been using Monette pieces all along and looking to upgrade?

If you really want to know what the latest development in brass mouthpieces is, go to www.monette.net. I'll let you all know how my Monette Prana MFII plays when I get it in 8-12 weeks. B)

I understand where you're coming from on this one. Heck the tuba player for whom the tuba mouthpieces is modelled lives a mile down the road from me. He says they are different, but I'm not ready to fork over $350 for it. That's a corps downpayment for me.