Highest temperature ever.....

I can't remember if it was 1980 or 1981 where you heard people on the news in Texas were dying because of the heat wave that was sweeping the nation that summer. I do know we were down in Texas in '81. One city where we were practicing, the city officials asked our corps staff not to let us rehearse during the day because of the extreme heat. So we napped in the noon hours and practiced at night.

Allentown that same year was pretty hot too....I remember the field buring the bottom of my shoes!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't march that year, but in 1987 they actually cancelled a show in Atlanta because of the heat. For some reason they had scheduled it for a Sunday afternoon (instead of night).

Enid Oklahoma, 2003. According to a thermometer the pit carried around to see just how hot the days were, it was about 120 on the field and 130 behind my drums. Oh how nice it is to sit behind big copper bowls! The corps was getting water every 15 minutes. And we were there for two days and the gym, not air conditioned. It was miserable. The water at the school wasnt really drinkable so they had people from the community dropping off bottled water, including an air force base down the road dropping off a pottable water truck to us. The first day we cut rehearsal short, went to bed EARLY and woke up at I believe 4 am the next morning to get a rehearsal in before the afternoon, stayed inside napping during the afternoon then packed up and did a show that night and moved on with our lives. Just saying Enid Oklahoma makes me nauseaus.

The same thing happen to us in Enid in 2004 - the water wasn't drinkable so the local base had to bring us a huge tank full of water. We're going back this summer...hopefully we get a different school!

I dont know the actual temperature, but in 2004 in Salina, KS our scaffolding sunk into the the asphalt it was sitting a few inches ruining the section of the nicely paved lot. Well into the triple digits thats day...on blacktop...nice.

Hmm...sounds familar. B) Is that when we (Memphis Sound) shared a housing site with ya'll?

Tulsa, Oklahoma, July 1987. We were housed at Union High School, which had an old-style astroturf field. A member had a watch that had a digital thermometer on it that went up to 130 degrees, and the thing blacked out during rehearsal. My shoes actually melted and fell apart.

Prelims at DCI South in Birmingham, Alabama... Any year.

But in particular, I remember 1987 Birmingham Prelims when the Sky Ryders went on in the middle of the day. With that ghastly head radiating off the turf. We were wearing Capezio dance shoes with a very thin flimsy leather sole instead of legitimate marching shoes that year. <**> (It was kinda like marching in socks... that's all the support we had.) I remember a few people in the corps were actually crying on the field during some of the halted sets. You could literally feel the bottoms of your feet start to sizzle after a few seconds of halting. It was really bad.

I seem to remember at least one sop player crying and having to get medical attention for his feet burns when we came off the field. :(

That's definitely one of the many things you can never understand about Drum Corps from watching the PBS broadcast and studying Corpsreps.com!

Edited by bradrick

I remember Crossmen 2001, i think it was in Arkadelphia (or so?) Can't remember exactly how hot is was (around 110-115), but i DO know it was a rehaersel day.

Arkadelphia in 2001 definitly stands out in my mind as a miserable experience, but I personally thought it was the humidity more than the heat that was amazingly disgusting ...

Enid Oklahoma, 2003. According to a thermometer the pit carried around to see just how hot the days were, it was about 120 on the field and 130 behind my drums. Oh how nice it is to sit behind big copper bowls! The corps was getting water every 15 minutes. And we were there for two days and the gym, not air conditioned. It was miserable. The water at the school wasnt really drinkable so they had people from the community dropping off bottled water, including an air force base down the road dropping off a pottable water truck to us. The first day we cut rehearsal short, went to bed EARLY and woke up at I believe 4 am the next morning to get a rehearsal in before the afternoon, stayed inside napping during the afternoon then packed up and did a show that night and moved on with our lives. Just saying Enid Oklahoma makes me nauseaus.

Enid in 2003 was just plain ridiculous. The school we were at didn't seem to have very drinkable water either, however a local church set up a tent near our practice field and it was manned with volunteers handing out water bottles anytime we were on the field...pretty great really...

Some where in AZ the summer of 90, it was the hottest day on record at the time 121. We were sharing a housing site with the Americanos. Our staff decided it was too hot to rehears so we went to the local mall for an extra free day. Mean while the Americanos were setting up for practice when we left, and were still on the field when we got back. You should have seen the envy on their faces.