Brass Skill

Of coruse, the marching is very important, but I know on my free time I would practice, not because I had to but because I wanted to. Kids should be doing that. That is something that is missing.

So your complaint is with the performers. You want more dedicated people to march in drum corps. OK. :blink:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a matter of opinion, but you're forgetting two things. First, that a lot more hornlines are able to achieve a level of quality that was very rare in those days. Second, that hornline sound quality has continued to improve markedly over the last twenty or more years, owing to improved equipment, improved instruction and higher initial talent levels. Whether the music is harder or not has no bearing on how good the hornline is.

But that is my point, we are not pushing the limits of brass playing at all, not like we are with movment, percusion or gaurd. We just want it to sound good and thats it. Look at an early season color gaurd, it is only clean by augest.

How do you know? You're making some pretty crazy accusations about every single junior corps member here, with no base whatsoever.

I am just saying that you should be all asking for harder music, challenge yourself! Ask for help from the awesome teachers that are out there.

Edited by CornoBehnke

But that is my point, we are not pushing the limits of brass playing at all, not like we are with movment, percusion or gaurd. We just want it to sound good and thats it. Look at an early season color gaurd, it is only clean by augest.

Again, how do you know this? What do you base this on? You're complaining about...something, but it's very vague. You've swung between complaining that members don't practice enough on their own (a baseless accusation) and that...horn books aren't hard enough? Also a baseless accusation, unless you've been analyzing the scores of all the corps out there.

Perhaps your time could have been better spent if the staff would have given you private lessons in spelling and English. ^0^

Yes you should practice your music while on tour, but its 11 minutes, how much time are you going to really need to spend on 11 minutes of music.

History would dictate that you need to spend about 2 and a half month on 11 minutes of music.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

I am just saying that you should be all asking for harder music, challenge yourself! Ask for help from the awesome teachers that are out there.

The music I played in corps was in line with the music I played in most other large ensembles I've been in in terms of difficulty. Not the same amount of range in some cases, but that has to do with writing that will be effective in the ensemble and be effective on the move. As difficult as my small ensemble or solo literature? Nope, but if you wrote horn books that reached that level of difficulty, not only would be you trying to play music that is harder than even many pro ensembles go for, but you would never get it clean.

Again, how do you know this? What do you base this on? You're complaining about...something, but it's very vague. You've swung between complaining that members don't practice enough on their own (a baseless accusation) and that...horn books aren't hard enough? Also a baseless accusation, unless you've been analyzing the scores of all the corps out there.

I am baseing this on the sound of my Seasons Pass membership and the shows I have gone to. I also marched and spent a lot of time with the staff talking to them about issues. I am only being so harsh because I think we are capable of so much more with our brass lines.

Actually...

This is absolutely ridiculous. We just need to stop this now, because this guy's just taking us in circles and it's quite clear that this is accomplishing nothing other than finding several ways to phrase something without actually saying anything meaningful . . .

I'm sure your intentions are good, Corno, but we should just quit this.