"On The Starting Line"

wsssb

In or around 1974, DCI made a training film (yes, it was on film) titled "On The Starting Line."

The film was a half hour or so of documentary-style footage designed to be shown as a recruiting tool. It followed a bunch of corps and individuals around, and showed a day in the life on tour.

It was a pretty high-scale production for its day, complete with Willy Nelson's theme song "On the Road Again."

One of my friends will be turning 50 this summer. She had a short scene in the film, and I'd like to find it so we can show it at her party.

Anyone have a copy or know where I can get one?

All leads appreciated.

While we are at it, I was having trouble finding "Hard Corps", an award winning documentary about drumcorps by David Malver. His website is no longer valid, but YEA! is selling it. David's movie is listed in the International Movie Date Base www.imdb.com, but I can't find "On The Starting Line".

I remember seeing this movie, or parts of it. Is this the movie where they follow a few kids, one being an SCV rookie, for the summer? At the end of the movie the announcer of a show is reading scores and when they get too second place it cuts off. The idea being that it doesn't matter who actually wins, drumcorps is about the experience. I would love a copy of this film as well.

While we are at it, I was having trouble finding "Hard Corps", an award winning documentary about drumcorps by David Malver. His website is no longer valid, but YEA! is selling it. David's movie is listed in the International Movie Date Base www.imdb.com, but I can't find "On The Starting Line".

"Hard Corps" occasionally airs on IFC (Independent Film Channel), ch# 550 on Direct TV.

Tony B)

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible the film you're talking about was titled "Competitive Drum Corps" by Larry McCormick? Lots of small clips of Troopers, Kilties, SCV, the Anaheim guard on the 50 yd. line doing what was later called 'the Rockford file'.

I used this film extensively to recruit for "Na Koa Alii" (The King's Guard), Hawaii's Jr. corps in the 70's. I remember the Willie Nelson thing, but most of all watching the high school kids over there just salivating and chomping at the bit, to do corps.

As recently as three or four years ago, that film was still available from McCormick, on VHS. :)

Was this narrated by Stan Kenton, or am I thinking of another film?

Yes sir, it was. B)