Which Dutch Boy Show Did You Like The Best

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1987 gave us "In the Wee Small Hours,' one of the best ballads of the decade, but 1986 was my favorite show. Their absorbing of kids at mid-season allowed them to finish very well and take that next step into big kids' territory.

I wasn't aware of the circumstances around '86, but did realize that year seemed to be a breakthrough. Can anyone elaborate?

I wasn't aware of the circumstances around '86, but did realize that year seemed to be a breakthrough. Can anyone elaborate?

The Rochester Northmen folded that winter and we had roughly a bus load of members join us that year. They came during the winter so I don't consider that joining mid season as someone else had posted but that I may not be interpreting their words correctly.

All the members that came from Rochester were great! Most of the Rochester members stayed members of Dutch Boy for many, many years -1986 into the early 90's and I believe a few may have stayed until the corps went inactive.

That bus load of members from Rochester and the returning local members who refused to go march anywhere else after a disappointing 1985 are a large reason why Dutch Boy became such a successful drum corps. Then add in some great additions in 1987 with the very sad demise of 27th Lancers and again add more incredible members from the folding of Les Eclipses and some other Quebecois corps and Dutch Boy was destined to do well.

Members kept returning to Dutch Boy because we just felt that we could be great (and we're stubborn!) and we were a family. I have a lot of wonderful memories from marching Dutch Boy and those memories are because of the people I marched with and the instructors I marched under. :laugh:

Well......Having marched in 1990 and 1991, this is really taking me back in the day. Looking back it was awesome marching in Dutch Boy and I LOVED Canada!!!!

Favorite for me was 1989....especially the beginning of "Night and Day"

Doug

The Rochester Northmen folded that winter and we had roughly a bus load of members join us that year. They came during the winter so I don't consider that joining mid season as someone else had posted but that I may not be interpreting their words correctly.

All the members that came from Rochester were great! Most of the Rochester members stayed members of Dutch Boy for many, many years -1986 into the early 90's and I believe a few may have stayed until the corps went inactive.

That bus load of members from Rochester and the returning local members who refused to go march anywhere else after a disappointing 1985 are a large reason why Dutch Boy became such a successful drum corps. Then add in some great additions in 1987 with the very sad demise of 27th Lancers and again add more incredible members from the folding of Les Eclipses and some other Quebecois corps and Dutch Boy was destined to do well.

Members kept returning to Dutch Boy because we just felt that we could be great (and we're stubborn!) and we were a family. I have a lot of wonderful memories from marching Dutch Boy and those memories are because of the people I marched with and the instructors I marched under. :ph34r:

Thanks for the clarification-perhaps my mind is playing tricks, or I'm being overly dramatic. I seem to remember hearing the Northmen people came in at mid-season. But obviously that's not the case. I still like that show, mainly for the reasons I mentioned earlier. But man, if you can find the 87 show, listen to the ballad. it's the shiznizzle.

Thanks for the clarification-perhaps my mind is playing tricks, or I'm being overly dramatic. I seem to remember hearing the Northmen people came in at mid-season. But obviously that's not the case. I still like that show, mainly for the reasons I mentioned earlier. But man, if you can find the 87 show, listen to the ballad. it's the shiznizzle.

Thanks for the compliments.

All of Dutch Boy shows, with the exception of 1985 are available for mp3 download - and can be heard on the dutch boy website under media - sounds -

p.s - my mind could be playing tricks as well, although I am sure that when we started learning drill in the spring the Rochester members were already members. We did not add members after drill was written or learned. If I recall correctly, Vinnie Montecelli wrote our drill that year.

1986 and 1993 - neither was the cleanest, but the music was fun and entertaining

Inetersting story about 93. Roland (the sop soloist) started the show on a high B shake up to a double B that he absolutley pasted every time. Some time that June, he bet me a case of "liquid refreshment" that he wouldn't miss the double B more than two times the entire summer. This included every sectional practice, run thru, and performance. I took the bet figuring there was no way he could do it.

I lost.........

He was a beast!!! b**bs

Maxwellnotes - quote - Wow I remember watching your perform in 1988. You were wonderful as was the rest of the corps. Thanks for your passion.

Me personally or the corps? :unsure: (do you know who I am?)

thank you either way. :)

Maxwellnotes - quote - Wow I remember watching your perform in 1988. You were wonderful as was the rest of the corps. Thanks for your passion.

Me personally or the corps? :unsure: (do you know who I am?)

thank you either way. :)

I do remember the soloist in My Way from that year. If that is you, thanks for the energy and memories.