81 legacy

Just got done watching 81 BD. I know it probably has been discused before, but why no Finals footage?

The recording was awful, they should have only charged $10 for 81.

I feel bad for anyone who marched 81, but it got me thinking, did DCI film other regionals from earlier and later years?

I have seen footage during San Antonio and Indy shows, where does the footage go?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got done watching 81 BD. I know it probably has been discused before, but why no Finals footage?

I think it was deemed too expensive to get all the equipment, etc, to Canada for finals. Or something like that... :wall:

I think it was deemed too expensive to get all the equipment, etc, to Canada for finals. Or something like that... :wall:

What's odd is the fact that the audio recordings for the THEN records and now CDs of that year were recorded in Canada. So, my next question would then be - how much more difficult would it have been to get the video equipment up there? Never mind answering. I know the answer. Nuff said.

OH...But WAIT! They did it in 82. Hmmmmmmmmmm.....:wall:

Edited by torn8o

Moving to Historical forum.

The recording was awful, they should have only charged $10 for 81.

I feel bad for anyone who marched 81, but it got me thinking, did DCI film other regionals from earlier and later years?

I have seen footage during San Antonio and Indy shows, where does the footage go?

Yeah, I do feel bad since that was my age-out year. ^0^ However, I do have my finals performance that the staff recorded and I do have prelims.

We heard that they were having trouble getting permission to film it or something like that. It is ashame because our finals performance and position was much better than DCI MidWest. Not only that, but much of our show had changed.....music, drill and guard work.

I also have a few other corps perlim performance from that year as well on DVD. B)

My understanding is that it was because DCI didn't get telecast copyright and production agreements worked out with Canadian officials in time. They did get all that worked out the following year, probably because (as a direct result of what happened in '81) they knew what was involved.

Yeah, I do feel bad since that was my age-out year. ^0^ However, I do have my finals performance that the staff recorded and I do have prelims.

We heard that they were having trouble getting permission to film it or something like that. It is ashame because our finals performance and position was much better than DCI MidWest. Not only that, but much of our show had changed.....music, drill and guard work.

I also have a few other corps perlim performance from that year as well on DVD. B)

You have the finals performance from 81? Oh how I'd love to see that...my favorite Lancer horn line... :wall: besides 73..:)

You have the finals performance from 81? Oh how I'd love to see that...my favorite Lancer horn line... :wall: besides 73..:)

I must agree Steph. The 81 line was the most talented in the short history of the corps, IMHO. Their 81 Finals performance was MUCH better than the midwest performance that remains for all eternity . However, I actually liked 'Spitfire' as the closer. As you know, it was dropped for 'Danny Boy' by finals.

Steph, I only have prelims for;

27 Lancers

Santa clara Vanguard

Cavaliers

Blue Evils

Troopers

Crossmen

Bridgemen

Guardsmen

Garfield Cadets

Spirit of Atlanta

All are high camera angle from someone's camcorder. I can make you a copy....send me a PM with your mailing address if you are interested.