The Golden Years of DCI

Any year that The Cavaliers, Phantom Regiment, and Madison Scouts won! :tongue:

Edited by caviefan2000s

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Golden Years for DCI. So we are talking 1972 to present.

I would say 1977 to 1990.

In 1977 DCI was able to have its championships in Denver, the largest venue for them yet, and in addition to the usual suspects in SCV and Madison, the Blue Devils were proving that 76 was no flute, and Phantom Regiment was becoming a force to be reckoned with. Shows were generally crowd pleasing by all corps, and the styles were clear and unique.

I close that era in 1990 because I see a distinct breaking of style come 1991. Perhaps not a drastic break, but it's there.

The 1990s were wonderful for DCI, but the late 70s and 80s gets my nod because:

1. better soloists during this span

2. more pleasing shows during this span

3. the corps had a clear identity and unique show styles

4. more corps competed

5. more shows

6. more shows in Canada (gosh I miss DCI Canada in Hamilton)

7. better music writing and thematic development

8. Garfield and SCV in 1987 (say no more)

9. Blue Devils horn book in 1982 (say no more)

10. The Bridgemen percussion features (say no more)

There are more, but that should work for now.

Also, take the Cadets and Madison out of each finals lineup from the 1990s and the entertainment drops off significantly. This is just my opinion, but those two corps did a lot for the 1990s in terms of making sure we had some amazing entertainment. They were the most consistent at it. 90s VK also helped.

JW

To me the golden years ended in 2000. When bugles were dropped in favor of bell-front marching brass in Bb and F, the activity just became "Summer Traveling Marching Band" to me. The horns of today don't require anywhere near the talent or physical dexterity as the bugles of yesterday. The marching brass is designed to be fairly loud and in tune. G bugles, especially the P/R horns, were built to just peel the skin off your face. The talent it takes to control the tone and volume and intonation while playing a chrome bumper is a feat the kids today who have never played bugles will never understand or respect. Imagine if, one day, your DCI corps of choice decided to have one rehearsal with a hornline full of P/R honkers. The corps would go from sounding amazing to being completely out of tune, or just having some kids not playing while they spend half of rehearsal trying to figure out how to hold the thing.

To me, DCI prior to 2000 made better musicians. All of them learned a new instrument, learned many new playing techniques, and when fall returned, they had a much better appreciation for their marching and concert band instruments. Today, only people who play woodwinds during the school year and trombonists are the only groups that really have to learn a new instrument. Everyone else can take their fingering charts and engrained musical prowess and play without any major changes necessary. Even three valved G bugles are bears to play. It's nothing close to playing a concert tuba or Sousaphone, and while my only experience with Bb contras was in high school on the Dynasty 845 convert-a-tuba, it still doesn't come close.