Horns for Hurricane Victims

Hello DCPers,

My name is Drew Ross, a sometimes regular poster on DCP. I am not sure where to send this, so moderators, feel free to forward it wherever it needs to go.

I am writing to let you all know about an organization I am involved with through the University of Virginia community called Horns for Hurricane Victims (HHV). The HHV is a volunteer organization devoted to collecting musical instruments, supplies, accessories, and music for New Orleans school music students.

I have chosen to join the group with the help of the Chantilly High School (Fairfax County, VA) Tri-M Music Honor Society, which I am the sponosor. We are in the beginning stages of a Musical Instrument Drive and I need your help.

If you have an old musical instrument, mouthpiece, accessory, music stand, or sheet music you would be willing to donate, please contact me via e-mail ( drew.ross@fcps.edu ).

For more information, please view the website www.hornsforhurricanevictims.org and view the outreach presentation.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Drew Ross

bump

does the instrument have to be in great shape? i have an old clarinet, i will donate, but its not the greatest thing in the world.

Any musical instrument works. Check out the HHV website and watch the powerpoint outreach presentation....kids are still sharing instruments, switching between songs. Any musical instrument, regardless of condition, works!

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful response. Drum Corps people are the best! Please contact me at drew.ross@fcps.edu for more information.

Also, any accessories (mutes, reeds, valve oil, tuning slide grease, sticks, etc) are accepted.

I wish I had my old horns to give to you - this sounds like a great idea, and I wish you a lot of luck!

does the instrument have to be in great shape? i have an old clarinet, i will donate, but its not the greatest thing in the world.
Bad instrument vs no instrument? Easy - send it. we have lots of kids who used school instruments before K b/c they couldn't afford the essitentials. This includs those, like flutes & clarinets, that are traditionally student owned. Many of those now without could never afford their own instruments. Some who owned them now have nothing so a new instrument is low on the list of what to spend money on. ALSO many salvigable instruments are without cases. I know of several which floated on top of the sludge. The case lineings & padding is unsalvigable, but the instrument could be cleaned & is useable. Imagine the damage that can occure from taking your trumpet on the bus with no case!

Bad instrument vs no instrument? Easy - send it. we have lots of kids who used school instruments before K b/c they couldn't afford the essitentials. This includs those, like flutes & clarinets, that are traditionally student owned. Many of those now without could never afford their own instruments. Some who owned them now have nothing so a new instrument is low on the list of what to spend money on. ALSO many salvigable instruments are without cases. I know of several which floated on top of the sludge. The case lineings & padding is unsalvigable, but the instrument could be cleaned & is useable. Imagine the damage that can occure from taking your trumpet on the bus with no case!

Absolutely. Instruments are held together with duct tape. If they don't have an instrument, they must share with others, switching off between songs. Any instrument is better than no instrument.

Do not hesitate to contact me, even if you live far away! We can make this happen!

Thanks again for the generous support...you guys are incredible.

Drew

:(