need HELP! choosing horns

I know what the marching trombone is...one of the bands I write uses them. I recently talked the director into using the Dynasty baritones, that we "borrowed" from a DCA corps for marching band season to replace the mini trombones...I call them pea shooters...

I wouldnt mind playing one of horns on a jazz or rock gig if I had to double some bone parts, but for marching brass, I dont recommend them...they dont project very well. I had to employ the use of a synth to get the low brass to be heard...LOL

Donny

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jeff!

Just about what I was thinking.

The Euph's could add some meat to the third part, and could either split out to cover a bass (4th) bone part or help support the contra/tuba/bass part.

am I far off on this?

other than weight, would using them to cover a third bari part restrict you in any way?

would weight be less of an issue if this was not a field corps, where you had to carry the thing around for hours of drill rehearsal?

I seem to remember it's only about a 1 lb difference, from the bari.

Euphs are definitely a big plus from a sound perspective...paired with an appropriate mouthpiece, they're much easier to play on the low end of the horn than baris and provide a good transition sound from the baritones to the contras. They also darken up the sound significantly.

Of course, depending on the sound you're going for, you may not want that.

The weight issue is definitely more than one pound, but can be handled by anyone in decent health who's determined enough. Euphoniums are larger bored and have a much more open, loose wrap, which means the valve casing(where the weight of the horn is supported) is quite a bit further away from the body than on a bari. Euphs also have significantly larger bells, so more of the weight is way out on the end of the horn. As an experiment to demonstrate how much difference this makes, take a bari, tie a shoe over the end of the bell and hold it at attention with the mouthpiece about 6 inches from your face.

You'd be shocked at the difference.

Regardless, it's just a matter of toughness and "want to" for 90% of the population.

Edited for speeling

Edited by idontwan2know

I know what the marching trombone is...one of the bands I write uses them. I recently talked the director into using the Dynasty baritones, that we "borrowed" from a DCA corps for marching band season to replace the mini trombones...I call them pea shooters...

Wasn't doubting your knowledge in the least. Just was not sure we were talking about the same thing since you mentioned "slides" which marching trombones don't have (except for tunning slides of course). Still not 100% certain that we are talking about the same instrument since you call them "mini trombones". The instrument I am thinking of is really more of a "mini baritone" and has no visual resemblence at all to a trombone. Not a big deal though. Just wanting to clarify our dialog.

Edited by torn8o

Avoid those little baris - they sound like doodoo.

King baris sound good. Yamahas are ok, but the valve guides break really easily.

Kanstul Mellos (unless you can get the Yamaha 204, which I have not yet seen on the market).

Maybe Joe Exley could chime in on Contras - I haven't any experience with the new ones.

Xeno trumpets are popular with my trumpet friends.

Hey Donnymusic,

Just to clarify, is this what you are refering to as a "marching trombone"?

Olds Bb Marching Trombone

900002814.jpg

This is what I was refering to at least. Again, not too big of a deal. Just wondering in case you may have been thinking of something else.

anybody familiar with the Blessing marching horns?

that is.. bari's and mellos in particular?

Music123.com has i think 3 Blessing marching baritones and info about them. Im not sure about Blessing marching euphoniums though.

If I had to have a Bb line, which I hope I never do, I would choose the King series of horns.

If you have to stretch dollars, get them off ebay or other sites. For Tubas, I would start with Jupiter because they are cheap and upgrade to Kanstul when funds became available.

If I was to pick a dream brand, that would be Kanstul everything. JMHO