Jackson Generals

Hey, all. This post is pretty long, so thanks in advance for your interest and for taking the time to read it.

The 2006 season will see our staff writing all music and drill and guard work ourselves after having a number of important deadlines missed last season on contracted work. These delays caused us to not field a show and to not have closer music ready in time last season.

We felt that we were fully capable of doing writing our own show from the get go, but were worried that our stuff would somehow not stand up in DCA competition. Well, we are more experienced and confident now in what we are doing. And our stuff is pretty good, if I do say so myself! (Heh, heh, heh . . . :worthy: )

We are all happy to see our work paying off in what ought to be a very nice little show. Unlike some of the larger DCA corps, we are so part-time that we seem to be almost nonexistent at times. (At least it feels that way to me . . . lol.)

So, while we are very much behind some of our neighbors, we are VERY FAR AHEAD of where we were at this point last season. Our horn book is almost complete, the drum book (a BIG "please wait" item last season) is getting taken care of properly. We will have the horn book, sans closer, in everyone's hands on Saturday (emailed parts sooner, most likely). We will be learning drill for the opener. WE HAVE A GUARD. We did last year, too; but they disappeared on us for some reason at the time of our two DCA exhibitions (communication problems that have been corrected) and choreography is getting done.

We just might actually be competing for actual numbers at Orlando and Rockmart this year!

We are unable to go to DCA as our schools will already have been in session for nearly a month before and DCA weekend has two big game nights for our band director members. Since our corps is so small and our band director members are so numerous, we have pretty much resigned ourselves to the fact that we will never be coming to DCA so long as it is so far into our school year.

However, if we actually compete for numbers at these two shows we will be legal to do DCA I&E. There are two of us that are pretty hot to come up to see the show and represent out corps at I&E. So, maybe SOME of us will get to go this year . . .

We have a full-day rehearsal this Saturday. It will be held in the band room and auditorium at Northwest Rankin High School from 9 to 6. If anyone here on this forum is in our area and would like to come watch for a little while we would love to meet you. Just come in, sit and watch.

We still have a few openings in all captions. We have only a few in the hornline; that is nearly closed up. PM me here if you would like to play a bugle so that we can bring the proper voice for you to play. You will need your own mouthpiece. We could always use some experienced battery and pit players . . . we are always sort of short on drums . . . Guard has only one opening that I know of. If you are a guard person, we are only planning on 12 but would happily add any experienced person if they want to join up. It is co-ed, by the way . . . grab that practice rifle or flag and come on!

Anyway, that is where we are right now. This will be a fun season for us, with a lot fewer organizational stress points and more time for playing and marching.

Our dues have been cut by over 60% from last year. We will be doing more fundraising instead. Our time commitment is lower to help out our out of town members. We are operating in the black and are in a small "corps hall" (storage and office that could be used for certain rehearsal situations).

I hope to meet many of you this year. I really enjoyed last season and hope to get to DCA for both I&E and to see the show.

Wade Rackley

Contra Section Leader

Board VP

Brass Arranger

Brass Repair Tech

Soprano Section Whipping Boy

(et cetera, et cetera . . . )

Edited by Periphery

Best wishes and good luck.You guys are going through what every other startup has gone through in the past.Keep your spirits up, keep pushing forward and don't look back. :)

Jeff

I remember you guys marching off the field at Rockmart and thinking to myself.

WOW what a hornline.

Don't get discouraged about Not doing DCA this year.

The crowds for the DCA Class A divsion are very slim.Numbers are very small in the afternoon.You will probably get better fan responce at Rockmart.

THe Mini-corps fans are very warm and receptive and it s a fun show to do.IF you can scrape enough people together I say go for it.You do not have to do drill at MINI CORPS.ITs optional.3 of the top 5 coprs did NO drill whatsoever in 04.

If you are wanting to go to Rochester,,,contact Scott Rhodes the Executive Director at MCL.You might be able to hitch a ride with one of our members or fill a seat on the bus depending on how much space we have on the bus this year.I would imagine that he won't know what space there is on the buss untill a few weeks before DCA.

Best of luck to you guys this year and I can't wait to see yall in Rockmart.

sorry to hear you arent coming up, but i understand. hopefully in time we will get to see you, and this fan, who sits thru every corps, will be there watching

sorry to hear you arent coming up, but i understand. hopefully in time we will get to see you, and this fan, who sits thru every corps, will be there watching

Why not make the trip down to Rockmart and catch the show there?

Its a great night of entertainment and there is a lot to do in ATlanta.

Let's clear up a possible misunderstanding... whether you compete in Rockmart or Orlando in 2006 makes no difference as far as eligibility for I&E.

You have more than proven that you exist as a senior corps - I'll bear witness to that! I've seen you.

I&E rules clearly state that you must have been a member (or members) of a senior/all aged corps past or present.

Your membership - as long as your corps allows them to represent you - may compete in all classes and captions at I&E right now... no matter whether you are judged this summer or not.

Thanks, Tom!

I guess that now I will be there even if I have to toss the K-90 into the back of my Jeep and drive there alone. (But I bet Nolan will come along, too, if he is able . . . )

Regards,

Wade Rackley

Edited by Periphery

Why not make the trip down to Rockmart and catch the show there?

Its a great night of entertainment and there is a lot to do in ATlanta.

i'll be at DCI East supporting two of my former students