Corps Mouthpieces

Blaringbrass

87 members have voted

1. 1. Corps Mouthpieces

• For it
    • Against it

A topic I find hard to stray away from.  

I had been part of a line that was "HIGHLY ENCOURAGED" to play on a certain mouthpiece and did not like it at the time but understood the generality of it.  Since then I have not ever been able to play that MP without having some problems but that is another story.  As for mouthpieces in general, we must understand that they make numerous sizes for all the DIFFERENT types of players out thre.  I'll agree and disagree with someone who mentioned earlier that a Lead Player would NEVER please on a 1 1/2 C cause that is about the most shallow comment that could be made.  Personally I play on a Schilke 20 and play LEAD for several groups.  My range is no better than if I were to practice for a month on a giogianni or a jet tone or even a Bill Chase 6a4a.  Those who play those "gimmick" chopped off mouthpieces to acheive the high register are selling themselves short of the full capabilities of the instrument.  I could name numerous players that play lead and do NOT use the super shallow screamer mouthpieces.  

sorry for my tone here...

Other guy said:

Okay, not sure how that was a "shallow" comment but feel free to name all the lead players you know that play on a bach 1 1/2C mouthpiece. Look at the lead players that are on the scene right now, Roger Ingram, Wayne Bergeron, Scott Englebright, Bobby Shew, Chuck Findley, Adolf Acosta, Mark Pender (trumpet player from Conan's show) just to name a few. Those cats aren't playing on a mouth piece with a deep cup for the lead book. Do you think they are selling themselves short of the full capabilities of the instrument???? And if you look back to what I said, I realize that some do play lead with say a Bach 3C (Charlie Davis for instance) but not many do. NOT because they are cheating for high notes, but because it's the right tool for the job.

Sorry "other guy" for forgetting your name. I quoted before getting it.

I totally concuer. I've been on a smaller V cup type mouthpiece for the last 23 years and I play the whole horn. Key here too is whatever piece it is, "getting used" to a new piece takes more than a month, IMHO. Constantly switching around is also not good. Talk about throwing off tongue/air coordination by having different rims and resistances fighting each other which also is attached to the lip cells that spin in the lips,etc. I dunno, in addition to the players YOU mentioned what about Maynard, Doc, Mic Gillette, Lee Thornberg,Bob O'Donnell, Harry Kim, Bill King, Rick Baptist ,etc,etc,etc None of those guys are playing 3C's lol. I guess they're "not playing the whole horn" too,eh? lol. I can also almost assuredly say that they're are pretty much playing ONE piece too with some exceptions. To me, a 3C or bigger is as much one extreme as a 6a4a is to another, yet Bill Chase sure made the 6a4a wail,no?

Here's a quote: "3C?? WEll, I could adapt but why do I want/need to work that hard?" John Rosenberg(I think if memory serves me)

I find Charlie Davis and ARtruro tho exceptions rather than the norm. Some people can play a garden hose end and play high, hahha. :)

I was there in the 70's too. In a youth band outscoring the corps(even BD and SCV) in parades. :)

PHil NOrris/time for milk and cookies now, lol.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic