1. 1. Corps Mouthpieces

• For it
    • Against it

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A topic I find hard to stray away from.

I had been part of a line that was "HIGHLY ENCOURAGED" to play on a certain mouthpiece and did not like it at the time but understood the generality of it. Since then I have not ever been able to play that MP without having some problems but that is another story. As for mouthpieces in general, we must understand that they make numerous sizes for all the DIFFERENT types of players out thre. I'll agree and disagree with someone who mentioned earlier that a Lead Player would NEVER please on a 1 1/2 C cause that is about the most shallow comment that could be made. Personally I play on a Schilke 20 and play LEAD for several groups. My range is no better than if I were to practice for a month on a giogianni or a jet tone or even a Bill Chase 6a4a. Those who play those "gimmick" chopped off mouthpieces to acheive the high register are selling themselves short of the full capabilities of the instrument. I could name numerous players that play lead and do NOT use the super shallow screamer mouthpieces.

I believe that for the hornlines, they first need to inspect the players individually and determine what type of sound they want from them. Next they look at the equipment being played and come up with a brand that is best suited to make the horn produce the best sound and intonation possible. THEN and only then do you mess with the SIZE of the MP for the player to again determine their capabilities.

As a professional player and one who also teaches corps hornlines and participates in a SENIOR Corps, I will continue to foster the abilities of the individual PLAYER and never force them to play a MP simply because the entire section "SHOULD" be on the same thing. Absolutely ludicrious!

sorry for my tone here...

strutta, perhaps you are new to the activity ;p

cavies have only won 5 championships since 1972. the first one was in 1992.

bd and cadets have won several more than cavaliers.

warriorpop, perhaps you're new to reading? :P :P :P

You obviously missed the point of my response. The Cavaliers are the defending champions for three years in a row dating back to last century.

If Cavaliers have been champions for three years running, then maybe what they are doing regarding mouthpieces, is something to be emulated. (If titles are what you're going for.)

I still stand by what I said about teaching the performers how to play better rather than pushing for a specific mouthpiece!

And btw, I've been around the activity since the early 70's though I doubt you've been on the planet that long!!! :P :P :P

A topic I find hard to stray away from.  

I had been part of a line that was "HIGHLY ENCOURAGED" to play on a certain mouthpiece and did not like it at the time but understood the generality of it.  Since then I have not ever been able to play that MP without having some problems but that is another story.  As for mouthpieces in general, we must understand that they make numerous sizes for all the DIFFERENT types of players out thre.  I'll agree and disagree with someone who mentioned earlier that a Lead Player would NEVER please on a 1 1/2 C cause that is about the most shallow comment that could be made.  Personally I play on a Schilke 20 and play LEAD for several groups.  My range is no better than if I were to practice for a month on a giogianni or a jet tone or even a Bill Chase 6a4a.  Those who play those "gimmick" chopped off mouthpieces to acheive the high register are selling themselves short of the full capabilities of the instrument.  I could name numerous players that play lead and do NOT use the super shallow screamer mouthpieces.  

sorry for my tone here...

Okay, not sure how that was a "shallow" comment but feel free to name all the lead players you know that play on a bach 1 1/2C mouthpiece. Look at the lead players that are on the scene right now, Roger Ingram, Wayne Bergeron, Scott Englebright, Bobby Shew, Chuck Findley, Adolf Acosta, Mark Pender (trumpet player from Conan's show) just to name a few. Those cats aren't playing on a mouth piece with a deep cup for the lead book. Do you think they are selling themselves short of the full capabilities of the instrument???? And if you look back to what I said, I realize that some do play lead with say a Bach 3C (Charlie Davis for instance) but not many do. NOT because they are cheating for high notes, but because it's the right tool for the job.

It should be interesting to see what John M. has to say...his dad was a great sop teacher for the dev's when I marched. As far as mouthpieces...I am one of those people that believe no 2 people are alike. Mouthpieces are an individual choice as far as I am concerned.

let the debate continue.....

kimela

I spoke too soon....

Mr. Meehan from BD said this:

"As for your question, we like to use 'same' mouthpieces in all of our

sections. Our lead Trumpets use one mouthpiece, our lower Trumpets use a

different, our Mellophones use one, our Baritones use one, our Euphoniums use

one and our Tubas use one. The main reason we do this is to create as close

to one tone from each member as possible. Something like this would never

work in a high school, because the instruments are all different. It only

works with us (if it actually does!) because we have like horns, like

mouthpieces and spend a lot of time teaching same technique and tone. We do

have exceptions every year, where an upper lead Trumpet will need to play on

'his' mouthpiece, but for the most part, 90% of the line each year is on like

mouthpieces."

See, I don't agree that the mouthpiece has that great an impact on the "quality" of tone they're putting out; if they put them all on different mouthpieces, they'd still sound pretty much the same. When you've got a line of people that are good players and practice good technique, I don't think that making them all play on the same mouthpiece will really impact it. And again, IMO, you ought to play on the mouthpiece that you like. After all, it's your mouth.