Corps Mouthpieces

Blaringbrass

87 members have voted

1. 1. Corps Mouthpieces

• For it
    • Against it

Mouthpieces and sticks don't work the same. Your hand construction doesn't affect how your drum sounds as much as what you're using to play, the tuning of the drum, what kind of head, etc., does. On a mouthpiece, two people can sound very different on the same mouthpiece. If they have different facial construction they will just play differently. That doesn't mean you never recommend someone get a new mouthpiece--sometimes you have someone who just has always used this one mouthpiece, but they don't really care for it, and you give them one to try out, and bam: they sound better and just like the mouthpiece more. I've seen it happen. Having said all that, however, I still don't think that you will create a uniform sound just because they're all playing the same mouthpieces. There are too many other factors to take into consideration.

Back when I marched corps were just starting to get into attack and release and control, intonation, you know the things you can get ticks for, now sound is the focus.

Both are the focus; we work hard to achieve uniform attacks and releases while playing with a rich, full sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't agree with a uniformed mouthpiece policy per say, I do agree with requiring begining players to be on the same mouthpiece. For intermediate and advanced players unless there playing on something wacked they should stay on their own mouthpiece.

For example on baritone...

All beginners play on a 6 1/2 AL Bach. Intermediate and advanced players play on their own mouthpiece as long as its not something outlandish (no Dennis Wick ;)).

(For example: Being a trombonist I use a Bach 4G Megatone on my large bore tenor trombone (old school Conn 88H!) and euphonium, and for small bore trombone and marching baritone I use a Bach 4. I tried to switch to a Bach 6 1/2 AL 1 year for marching baritone but couldn't do it - mouthpiece was too small for me.)

I also have heard of Mello lines being required to play on a Benge Mello 6 even if no other section is being required to play a certain mouthpiece.

Contra-wise beginners on a Bach 18; intermediate/advanced on a Conn/UMI Helleberg or their own mouthpiece.

Very interesting discussion - I've enjoyed reading this thread!

Peace,

Rich

Edited by bushfonian

I'm a believer that a uniformed mouthpiece will work as long as you stick to a general size mouthpiece. You wouldn't want an entire sop line playing on 6A4A's, but a line of 3C's would work just fine. With the Bandettes where I'm pretty much the only musical instruction they get (They say Canadian Band programs are a joke), It’s nice that everyone is playing on the same equipment. I think it can work either way. I agree with bluestarcontra that the blue devils would sound the same regardless, but with a younger group I think it can help build a strong foundation of an ensemble sound.

I voted against a corp-mandated mouthpiece.

I DO believe that instructors should insist on an "appropriate for the horn and the part being played" mouthpiece.

I do think though that if you are a quality player and are experianced on your instrument that the corps should not make you play on a certain piece if it it takes away from your talent level and are not able to perform adequately, and if that is a case that you should be able to choose a mpc. that is similar to the charecteristics of what they would like you to play on.

For example BD upper leads play on a Kanstul CG3 mouthpiece, that is what the corps for years have used as lead trumpet mouthpieces(as far as i know). I own one of these mouthpieces and it is a mouthpiece that chooses you. It has a pretty sharp rim, a medium cup which is a little "squished" is how i can describe it, when i first started playing on it i was like, "oh man this mouthpiece is gona kill my chops" but within an hour i was completely used to it and acutally find it very confortable and i love it. The reason i like it or it likes me is probably because i lave fatter lips so i have more if a "pillow" to set it on. I can probably guarentee that someone with thin, tiny lips would hate this mouthpiece, it could actually be painful. So with that said an occasional lead player would be allowed to use his own mouthpiece but it had to be of similar size to the CG3, not like a 6a4a.They wouldnt torture him all year just because its the "rules" especially when some of his or her's potential may be not showing. So i do believe that facial charecteristics do play a role in what you should play on but i feel that a gereral corps mouthpiece is still best for a uniformal sound, like Mr. Meehan said" this only works because we have the same horns, if it even does work..."

I am for it in most cases but against in others. In my experience both teaching and marching I have had experiences with having standardized mouthpieces and having whichever one you choose.

Marching at BD (using standadrized mpcs) I can see where it could be argued that we could all play on that standard mouthpiece and everyone else should. You can't deny the success they have had going with this system. By going with this system they can identify problems with individual sounds and offer corrections to fix the problems. If players all had their own individual piece the specs of the mouthpiece could affect the sound and a correction could be offered but it may not be the right one.

Second as an instructor at the Naval academy I have found that by standardizing mouthpieces we have achieved a much more focused and dark sound. A lot of it has to do with teh specs of the horns, the register they are playin gin and the fact that most of our kids simply are beginning players. not new to brass, but new to g bugles and our technique program.

My third experience is with the Syracuse Brigadiers who do not use standardized mouthpieces. Many of our players are in the intermediate to advanced range. Some at upper levels. Everyone plays on thier own piece but has an understadning of the kind of sound desired and knows how to manipulate their particular mouthpiece to achieve that sound. Given the experience level of these players there is no need for a standardized mouthpiece.

Experience and maturity of the players would be the major focus for me in choosing whether or not to standardize a mouthpiece. You are much more likely to achieve uniformity of sound and of tone using standardized rather then letting players play on whatever they choose. There is not difinitive answer it is all a matter of preference.

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...

the mouthpiece should be up to the individual. Our facial and oral structures are individual, and it is known that the sound is first produced from here.

Myself, I play lead and symphonic all on the CG3, a mouthpiece I chose after playing several different ones over the course of a number of years.

I play on a Bach 3cw it works for the parts I have to play(3rd)

I tried a CG3 and loved it in the rehersal room but had a bit of a hard time on the field with it.

One question. When people talk about Blue Devils CG3 is it the one and the same as the Claude Gordon CG3 mouthpiece?