87 members have voted

1. 1. Corps Mouthpieces

• For it
    • Against it

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main reason i don't like the idea is. I use a warburton 2D mouthpiece. Its about the same diameter of a bach 3C, But deeper. I use it for everything from jazz to orchestra to concert band to corps and marching band. But if I were to be in a corps that used one type, i can gaurantee its not gonna be the one i use, it takes a long time to get used to a bigger mouthpiece like mine. They would prolly use a 3C or similar. I've tried to go back to 3c for like jazz or such, i can't. It constricts me, so i'm sure there are mainly other people with similar concerns.

B) ...hmmmmm, why???....Does the Boston Pops subject the members to play on a pre-determined mouthpiece, or the New York Philamonic, or does the Duke Ellington band...nahhh!!! ...the mouthpiece IS the actual instrument, and needs to be comfortable fit, style, etc., to the indivdual player .......it seems quite primitive to approach a line with a uniform standard, considering a very un-uniform physical facial structures...

Just my humble opinion....and if ya don't like it.. :P

Bill

:D

While having a "standard" for those members that are less-developed musicians to use may not be a bad idea, I don't like the idea of saying, "Everyone must play on this mouthpiece." Everyone's facial constructions are different, so just because you are using the same equipment doesn't mean you will sound the same. One of the other tuba players in wind ensemble with me tried out my horn on my mouthpiece the other day. When he played it, he had a different sound from me--not a worse or better sound, just a little different, because we're different physically and we have a little different playing style. People should play on the mouthpiece they're comfortable with.

This is also a reason I don't like "gimmick" mouthpieces, like the assymetrical ones talked about in another thread, or really deep/shallow mouthpieces that supposedly help certain aspects of your playing. Get a mouthpiece that you like, and develop your technique. If you get so dependent on switching out mouthpieces for different aspects of playing that you just have to, say, have a shallower mouthpiece before you can play above a certain note, I don't think you're on the right road to developing good overall technique. Doesn't mean there's never call for having multiple mpcs, but they shouldn't be a crutch. The person behind the horn is what really matters; one should be able to do pretty much anything on any mpc if the situation arises.

Let me ask you this? When you have to hammer a penny nail into the wall do you grab the biggest hammer you have, the same one you would use to hammer in railroad spikes? Of course not. A lead trumet player is not going to use a (yes I realize that some do) a 1 1/2C mouthpiece. Just as a principle trumpet player of the LA Philharmonic is not going to use a Marcinkiewicz 14. I don't think you use a shallow mouthpiece to cheat for high notes any more than a deep mouthpiece to cheat for a more mellow sound. I believe in using the right tool for the job. A horn player should be smart and find a couple of good mouthpieces to use for the right situations. (jazz, classical etc.)

I do agree with you that a uniform mouthpiece is a bad idea. Some people have fat lips, some got thin lips. The horn line staff should sit everyone down and go over the type of sound that they want and help the players pick the right equipment for the job at hand.

B) ...hmmmmm, why???....Does the Boston Pops subject the members to play on a pre-determined mouthpiece, or the New York Philamonic, or does the Duke Ellington band...nahhh!!! ...the mouthpiece IS the actual instrument, and needs to be comfortable fit, style, etc., to the indivdual player .......it seems quite primitive to approach a line with a uniform standard, considering a very un-uniform physical facial structures...

Just my humble opinion....and if ya don't like it.. :P

Bill

:D

I agree with the sentiment BUT, the performer is the instrument, the horn, mouthpiece, drum, stick, flag, rifle are merely the apparatus (or apparati, if more than one is involved)!

Don't tell me what I should play on!

Tell me what you want played and include me if you like how I play it!

Otherwise... SCREW!!! :P :P B)

Edited by strutta

Besides...demanding EVERYONE to do the same thing (like use the same mouthpiece) is un-American!

In most of today's junior corps (if not all corps), horn players have significant levels of competency when they arrive. So, horn techs/instructors: DON'T force them to use new tools (mouthpieces), TEACH them how to play to your corps' needs!

In most aspects i agree, in some i dont. I think that a trumpet line( for example) consisting of all the same mouthpieces will have more of a consistant sound throughout the line than a trumpet line that lets their members use whatever they are comfortable with even with facial aspects. Take SCV, great hornline, great sound, majority of them play on differnt mouthpieces. BD, great hornline, great sound, all play on the same mouthpieces. So no matter what i think they( brass staff) will get the sound they are looking for with or withoutt he same mouthpieces, and if they dont then thats possibly when they go to uniformal mouthpieces. I also think that groups like Blue Devils expect their member to be able to adapt to what is ever thrown their way, including mouthpieces and that is one of the main reasons why they are selected for the ensemble.

However i also think that they have you all play on the same mouthpiece, just because they dont want to have to deal with 25 different people with their screamer pieces and ask them to change and explane what they should be playing on bla bla bla. They just tell them how its going to be and it'll save them some hassle and some time.

In most aspects i agree, in some i dont. I think that a trumpet line( for example) consisting of all the same mouthpieces will have more of a consistant sound throughout the line than a trumpet line that lets their members use whatever they are comfortable with even with facial aspects. Take SCV, great hornline, great sound, majority of them play on differnt mouthpieces. BD, great hornline, great sound, all play on the same mouthpieces. So no matter what i think they( brass staff) will get the sound they are looking for with or withoutt he same mouthpieces, and if they dont then thats possibly when they go to uniformal mouthpieces. I also think that groups like Blue Devils expect their member to be able to adapt to what is ever thrown their way, including mouthpieces and that is one of the main reasons why they are selected for the ensemble.

However i also think that they have you all play on the same mouthpiece, just because they dont want to have to deal with 25 different people with their screamer pieces and ask them to change and explane what they should be playing on bla bla bla. They just tell them how its going to be and it'll save them some hassle and some time.

Well if it's about conformity, what is the policy with the Cavaliers? They've been champions of DCI since last century so maybe you should use them as the benchmark for what to do these days.

I say develop the horn PLAYER! Don't worry about the mouthpiece they arew using on the horn. B)