Very Cool Star video from 1993

There is quite a bit of discussion on the Star Alumni board about this video as well. The members from 93' are a little embarrassed about the quality in that little performance. They were spent at that point. Glad it was over, maybe a little hurt by the outcome. That little performance was a sort of release. There was absolutely no animosity at all going on there. That indeed was the last performance as a drum corps. I don't even remember them playing back at the buses that night.

Going into the 04' 500 Festival Parade in Indy, many of the alumni set a goal of losing Best Marching Unit by .1 of a point. :P That particular scar has not exactly healed yet.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trumpets sopranos were having a rough time at the beginning, but whatever, I'm sure they weren't warmed up that much. That's pretty awesome, though. I think I'm going to go watch the DVD again.

This is definitely not one of my proudest performances but like one of our members said in another forum we were pi$$ed. I think we were just having fun at the same time. Being that we were about to go home, this was the only time we didn't have to worry about Donnie VanDoren jumping us for playing that way so we pretty much had the green light to let it hang out.

Acrually, that's not true. In fact, they were the first corps to have ALL three valves when the transition was happening.

Hahhh Haaahh LMFAO....no we didn't...you must be thinking of 94 when we were the first corps to have trombones!

Oh well I heard Star hated Cadets.. seems like so often afterwards that the Cadets stole the medea lick too :laugh:

Star never hated the Cadets. How could you hate a corps that shared so much in their DNA? (Zingali, Prime, Twiggs, VanDoren, etc.) It would be like hating your older brother or sister, and that's not cool.

These two corps, especially in '93, were very similar and both of them were at the top of the ranks. (not necessarily in the right order, but that's something else :blink: )

Interesting Spanky,

I was thinking that in 91' the 'students' had finally caught the 'teacher'. George's last visual program was a spectacular sight and destinctly him. It was a direct continuation of where he started going in 83' with Garfield. But by 93' Star had become more unique and refined visually. I remember sitting there thinking the corps had finally thrown off the last trappings of 'Cadet Envy'.

You are correct Spanky. We were linked to the Cadets on so many levels program-wise. That is who we idolized. Even when George, Mark, and the gang were not directly involved (87-89), we still had a strange link. We were their biggest fans, and of course tried to kick it up a notch when competing with them. I think the first time we beat them was at US Open in 88'. Or maybe DCI Canada. It would have been interesting to see where both programs would be at now if they could have continued to face off year after year, with some green machine thrown in to boot.

The members from 93' are a little embarrassed about the quality in that little performance. They were spent at that point. Glad it was over, maybe a little hurt by the outcome. That little performance was a sort of release.
This is definitely not one of my proudest performances but like one of our members said in another forum we were pi$$ed. I think we were just having fun at the same time.

It's easier said than done, but you guys shouldn't feel embarrassed about cracks/fracks/whatever... that's not the point! That video captured such great high/low emotions at a point in time that arguably is one of the most memorable and controversial moments in DC history. Of course you guys were ######, hurt, and wanted to take it out on someone, everyone... it's not about "hating the Cadets" and perfect execution, it's about having the entire season of sweat, blood, and tears end oh-so-close to the DCI title. And remember in the retreat days you may go a couple hours between your finals performance and playing off the field. No warm up, just play.

This will sound elitist so I will apologize in advance, but those who have not been in that position will not understand. In that moment you might really hate those guys standing just 10 yards away. You might really want to peel their faces off with a wall of sound that they would never forget. You might even compress the hornline forward to the yardline just a yard or two away, pick someone out, and make them pay for your loss. I know I did, and I would give my right arm to see a video of that performance again... and it just so happens that it was the Cadets on the other side in my loss as well. But there was always respect...

Raw? Imperfect performance? #### yeah... that's what makes it so great! :laugh:

Thanks Jimmy...I think you nailed it. By the way, that video is an excerpt from our '93 "video diary" which documented practices, shows, and other behind the scenes stuff. It was sold in the Star/Brass Theater souvie stands for several years and I even managed to buy one of the last copies at the Star reunion. Now if I could only locate it.

Edited by Medeabrass

This will sound elitist so I will apologize in advance, but those who have not been in that position will not understand. In that moment you might really hate those guys standing just 10 yards away. You might really want to peel their faces off with a wall of sound that they would never forget. You might even compress the hornline forward to the yardline just a yard or two away, pick someone out, and make them pay for your loss. I know I did, and I would give my right arm to see a video of that performance again... and it just so happens that it was the Cadets on the other side in my loss as well. But there was always respect...

Raw? Imperfect performance? #### yeah... that's what makes it so great! :laugh:

I HAVE been there on the loss side....BD didn't do a park & bark for Garfield in 84, and really, I don't know if we could've done it the way Star did -- or SCV. Garfield was the new kid on the block as far as winning goes -- 84 was only their 2nd win -- and i think we were more than ######.

It would've been ugly to hear.

And I am envious of 93 Cadets to get Medea blowing their plumes back.

BTW....did Star play the entire show, or just the Media portion? I didn;t see any pit in the clip, and the pit is a GYNORMOUS part of the 1st half of the show...

I HAVE been there on the loss side....BD didn't do a park & bark for Garfield in 84, and really, I don't know if we could've done it the way Star did -- or SCV. Garfield was the new kid on the block as far as winning goes -- 84 was only their 2nd win -- and i think we were more than ######.

It would've been ugly to hear.

And I am envious of 93 Cadets to get Medea blowing their plumes back.

BTW....did Star play the entire show, or just the Media portion? I didn;t see any pit in the clip, and the pit is a GYNORMOUS part of the 1st half of the show...

No, not the entire show. No pit either. We played from what we effectionately called "Impending Doom to the End." (I just gave myself chills typing that...haven't thought about that in a very long time). Anyway, it's basically the part right after the baritone and mello solos that transition from Bartok back to Medea. One neat thing about that is there's a running low brass lick that was hosed out of the show but somehow "found" it's way back into that performance. That reminds me, we actually had another 1-2 minutes of music that we never put into the show. It was really some of my favorite music but I think it was just too hard to march to and alas, it was the part that was axed to get us under the time limit.