Ringing In The Ears

BeachDrums

Hi. Recently, I've had a very soft ringing sound in my ears. I believe it may very well be because I have been blowing too hard. I've been working on upper range and lots of lip slurs lately. Does anyone know if this could possibly be the cause of it? Ever happen to anyone else?

Hi. Recently, I've had a very soft ringing sound in my ears. I believe it may very well be because I have been blowing too hard. I've been working on upper range and lots of lip slurs lately. Does anyone know if this could possibly be the cause of it? Ever happen to anyone else?

I've never experienced anything similar. Any ear-ringing I suffered came from years ago, playing in one of those traveling R&R "trumpet-playing bands." Oh, the misery of being stuck near those Marshall amp-driven speakers.

If your body/mind are telling you this might be connected to recent upper range work, I'd tred lightly with this. Continue listening to what your body/mind are communicating. If it continues, I'd consult with a physician, possibly a music teacher.

Maybe it's time to bring it back down within the staff. There's much to learn and tweak there. Doc Severinsen once said at a clinic (I paraphrase), "Over 90% of our work is below high C." Best of luck.

Cozy

Edited by CozyChopsCom

If it continues, I'd consult with a physician, possibly a music teacher.

Definitely do this. Something like that is not a thing you want to let go.

I don't know about the ringing. But playing sop used to give me a headache. Ringing can be caused by several things. Loud noises, head trauma, wearing a shirt with a collar that's too tight, lack of rest. The only real way to find out if it's the playing that's causing it is to stop playing, which you probably don't want to do. And even then, it may have just been something that would have gone away anyway. Definitely consult a doctor.

When I was in the Army band, I got rather sensitive to loud noises. Which I blame mostly on the quantity and vacinity of explosives used during the almost weekly Ranger graduations. Most bandsmen in that unit spent their time off fishing, just to enjoy some silence. And to keep up their protective tans so we didn't get article 15'd for getting sunburnt on the job. Something about damaging government property, and yes, it was a likely administrative action in my unit, among other administrative actions. My sensitivity was bad enough that I carried my earplugs around after I got out of the army. And I didn't do anything music for about four years after the army.

Amp aren't that bad, try sitting in the 2nd trombone slot in Jazz band. The one that sits right under the drummers crash cymbal.

When I sometimes play my euphonium, my face starts to vibrate very intensely all over. I think it may have something to do with the frequency of the vibration of my lips on my mouthpiece. I would imagine that a high brass instrument could give a slight ringing in the ears due to the higher frequency. However, I am definitely NOT a physician, and as others have said, I urge you to consut one. You definitely don't want to damage your hearing.

Someone check me on this...but it sounds like tintinitus....I have it myself (although I barely notice it anymore)...it relates to damage to teh hearing mechanism from continual loud noises. Happens to rock players all the time...

Someone check me on this...but it sounds like tintinitus....I have it myself (although I barely notice it anymore)...it relates to damage to teh hearing mechanism from continual loud noises. Happens to rock players all the time...

Hi '84BDsop. Yeah, I sure hope it's not that. I really have not been exposed to loud noise for any extended length of time at all. I don't listen to loud music, shoot rifles, use headphones, etc. However, it occured to me that I often, just when practicing high notes, play into a pillow so as not to disturb anyone. I wonder if this would increase ear pressure? I don't know. In any case, I won't let it go much longer before I consult a doctor. I just want to go real EASY for a couple of days, stop playing upper register and playing into a pillow and see what happesns. Thanks to everyone who has shared so far. I appreciate it.

Edited by HISop

Hi '84BDsop. Yeah, I sure hope it's not that. I really have not been exposed to loud noise for any extended length of time at all. I don't listen to loud music, shoot rifles, use headphones, etc. However, it occured to me that I often, just when practicing high notes, play into a pillow so as not to disturb anyone. I wonder if this would increase ear pressure? I don't know. In any case, I won't let it go much longer before I consult a doctor. I just want to go real EASY for a couple of days, stop playing upper register and playing into a pillow and see what happesns. Thanks to everyone who has shared so far. I appreciate it.

I don't think playing into a pillow or mute would do damage...you're cutting down the sonic impact on your ears there.

I BELIEVE that the effects of tintinitus are cumulative....best to consult with a doctor. I really doubt it's just you doing it to yourself. If you work in a noisy environment the damage make build up over time and just happen to line up with your playing.