WAL MART

SO.

Having Walmart as a Drum Corps sponsor is going to be a BAD thing?

Please enlighten me - drum corps needs money. Walmart has money.

what am I missing here?

Then why not just ask the corner drug dealer or local Godfather for a sponsorship for that matter....I'm assuming you do not care where the money is coming from?....If this is true then there is absolutley nothing wrong with the statement "drum corps needs money. Walmart has money." comment.....for me, I care where that money comes from.....Walmart uses child labor from third world countries to keep it's prices low. From a man that has children, that does not sit right with me....IMO, I would keep Walmart money out of drum corps.....just my .02 cents B)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the bad rap Wal-Mart gets, they do have a lot more community outreach programs than most other large corporations.

Anyway, Wal-Mart sponsors my alma mater's drumline, providing a semi truck, driver, and fuel to take the trailer wherever it needs to go.

If you want a huge corporate sponsor like that, Target's Giving is all about education and the Arts.

A great Grant writer or something like that may get Target Corp. attention. Just a Thought

For all the bad rap Wal-Mart gets, they do have a lot more community outreach programs than most other large corporations.

Anyway, Wal-Mart sponsors my alma mater's drumline, providing a semi truck, driver, and fuel to take the trailer wherever it needs to go.

Walmart creates it's own bad rap....they are a huge business and could care less what the rest of the world thinks of them....the only reason they have so-called community outreach programs is to hide the shambles they make of communities and families in other parts of the world that we are comfortably insulated from.....they can keep their money IMO B)

Edited by felixh

Ok....how about using child labor to keep their prices down....that may not be tangible to you, but many just do not want to do business with a company that has that type of reputation around the world......if I was a drum corps looking for funding from Wally I would run like %$#@ B)

I think this is a stretch here accusing them of using child labor to keep their prices down. Especially when 90% of their products come from China who needs child labor. I'm not the biggest fan but I want to see some facts on this. Please if you don't mind.

Geez, I thought getting money to help corps was a good thing..I guess I'm missing something here too.

Not everything they do is bad...I am telling you when I went to them asking for help for Magic and for the Kennesaw show they had no problem as soon as I showed them what the activity does for the community. They gave Magic money to help with their food truck and food at the Kennesaw show to help out with their food drive. How in the world is that bad for drum corps?

Edited by Lancerlady

I think this is a stretch here accusing them of using child labor to keep their prices down. Especially when 90% of their products come from China who needs child labor. I'm not the biggest fan but I want to see some facts on this. Please if you don't mind.

Geez, I thought getting money to help corps was a good thing..I guess I'm missing something here too.

Not everything they do is bad...I am telling you when I went to them asking for help for Magic and for the Kennesaw show they had no problem as soon as I showed them what the activity does for the community. They gave Magic money to help with their food truck and food at the Kennesaw show to help out with their food drive. How in the world is that bad for drum corps?

http://walmartwatch.com/.....there is a cruel world outside of drum corps,....sad to say!....years as a union organizer tells me that most huge companies today have bad records unfortunately B)

http://walmartwatch.com/.....there is a cruel world outside of drum corps,....sad to say!....years as a union organizer tells me that most huge companies today have bad records unfortunately B)

Could you provide me with a more "unbiased" source..I've heard about this website...and I still didn't find where they have child labor...

But I understand now..a union organizer uh...Nothing wrong with that, but Walmart is not all bad. I had a bad experience with them but I'm not gonna sit here and pick at everything when they have done good things for the community.

I'm sure you could find just as much crap on Target or K-Mart if you wanted too...

Most huge companies? In your opinion, is big business by its nature bad?

I can't think of many large corporations that have a perfect record on labor, environmental, etc. relations. But just about all of them are VERY generous if asked the right way, and for the right cause. Wal-Mart/Sams gives back quite a bit to the community. I know someone within The Limited Brands Foundation and they give a HECK of a lot of money to the community. Wendy's. McDonalds. Target. Lots of money if you qualify.

Trash-talk The Man and The Man might not want to support this, or similar activities.

But what I run into: you approach these big companies, and guess what thing often gets thrown back in your face?

"What is your organization's total budget for the year? Wow! Really? And how many youths are in your ogranization? REALLY? That's all? That's how many dollars spent/consumed, per youth, in the course of a summer?"

I'm afraid we are (these days) often seen as the spoiled brats of charities.

If Wal-Mart gives you food/tires/money, you smile and say "thank you!"

Edited for typos.

Edited by spitvalve