Soprano Bugle/ Trumpet

Eaglesong

Even comparing side by side a Marching Trumpet and a Soprano Bugle. They are VERY Different, not just in key.

The leadpipe and main slide on a bugle (Kanstul or Deg) is wrapped more like some high end and artist series Cornets Like the Olds Super Star Cornets of the Late 60's and Early 1970's. You can almost mistake them at a glance for a Soprano. The slides for each valve on a bugle are about 20% longer than a trumpet And the bells are a bit larger or more French Trumpet in Style. Basically shaped more like a Cone than a Bell.

Edited by sonofjabba

Elizabeth,

Great to see you still out here on DCP as such a willing student. Others have answered your basic questions superbly.

Seeing your "Gold...trumpet...'07" signature, I was a bit lost. After searching the "Who's on G" thread, I see a recent John Adcock, Gold brass guru, post which confirms Gold is still on G bugles, with no mention of changing. Stay tuned to Gold and all corps for updates. Let's hope Gold remains G. Don't jump into these corps politics...yet! Just play!

Your interest: You are in Raleigh learning on a Bb trumpet, which is fine. When you attend Gold camps, it might help Before! if you can get any experience with a G soprano ("sop") bugle, whether it's 3- or 2-valve G bugle. Fingerings for a 2-v will be the same, minus, of course, you can't properly do most notes which use a 3rd valve (alternate fingerings much later); e.g., low D just below the treble clef staff, 1 and 3; E-flat (Eb), just above the low D, or A-flat (Ab), 2-3.

Why do I bother to mention an older 2-valve G sop bugle? It's a way to save $$ for now, but a 3-v sop would be preferable. If you can't get in any practice on a G horn, don't ever let that stop you from going to Gold. The sooner the better. I don't know their staff, but sure like the Gold precision.

To simplify your original question: G is soprano bugle -- Bb, C, etc., are trumpet; just as we are drum corps, others are band -- No slams at anyone, merely semantics. Other marching voices (instruments) are sometimes in F, and called...bugles.

It's educational to play instruments in various keys, but try to practice in G at times solo or in small ensembles to adjust your ear and chops (embouchure) to the nuances of a G sop before your heart races from the thrill of playing with the large Gold horn arc on a regular basis. Best of luck! Keep at it. You are worthy!

Just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone else who replied to this thread. I'm glad my record is set straight, now. Oh, but the fun I'm going to have with folks about what they refer to their instruments as...

Now, I need everyone to cross their fingers for me... I may have the prospect of getting a G sop. bugle for $300. It may not be in the condition to perform with, but it will definately bring the practice I need. I was talking to one of my buddies from TPIN and he told me he had one around that he'd be willing to sell.

Oh, and I'm not even in Drum Corps yet and I'm already obsessed. My husband and I went to see Ice Age 2 at the movies on Saturday and they had an announcement that they would be doing a showing of the DCI Finals-I believe-, in the theater on April 27th. I actually got tears in my eyes!! What's wrong with me?!

Once again, good luck on season preperations,

Edited by Eaglesong

You now have the same disease as the rest of us.

There is no cure. :)

That bad? Well, I guess I'd better learn to live with it. It'll be tough, though. All that great music, marching, rehearsals, making new friends, and finding ways to drive the Drum Majors and non-sopranos crazy...But, I'll get by.

By the way, the G Sop. Bugle will be sent to me within a week or so. I get a trial run on it before I'm obligated to buy it. The Man Upstairs seems to want me in Drum Corps as much as the rest of you.

That bad? Well, I guess I'd better learn to live with it. It'll be tough, though. All that great music, marching, rehearsals, making new friends, and finding ways to drive the Drum Majors and non-sopranos crazy...But, I'll get by.

By the way, the G Sop. Bugle will be sent to me within a week or so. I get a trial run on it before I'm obligated to buy it. The Man Upstairs seems to want me in Drum Corps as much as the rest of you.

Great! What model is it?

BTW....one this you'll want to learn to do is work the 1st valve slide....on a G horn there are some notes that are going to be out of tune, even if you nail the tuning C....the D at the top of the staff is usually the worst one...it'll be rather flat unless oyu use the slide.

<snip> drive the Drum Majors and non-sopranos crazy...But, I'll get by.

Good point, BD84 re using slide(s) to tune!

Elizabeth, don't use the valves on the sop you are awaiting until you have oiled them. No telling how long it's been stored.

Let us know how you enjoy it.

Great! What model is it?

BTW....one this you'll want to learn to do is work the 1st valve slide....on a G horn there are some notes that are going to be out of tune, even if you nail the tuning C....the D at the top of the staff is usually the worst one...it'll be rather flat unless oyu use the slide.

It is a Kanstul.

I am currently struggling over that first valve slide with my Bd. Think I'll have it on my G Sop. mastered by 2007?

Edited by Eaglesong

It is a Kanstul.

I am currently struggling over that first valve slide with my Bd. Think I'll have it on my G Sop. mastered by 2007?

Oohhhhhh....I'm jealous! I'm trying to raise the funds to buy myself one...right now I think I'm the only sop in SoCal Dream still on a 2 valve horn (King K-20.....best sop of the 80s...and ALSO designed by Zig Kanstul), but I;d like to minimize the intonation conflicts that come from a mismatched line. I could always try and borrow the powerbore belinging to EvilDreamer, but that would (as was pointed out to me) mean he couldn't practice with it for mini corps...so I haven't even asked.

Oohhhhhh....I'm jealous! I'm trying to raise the funds to buy myself one...right now I think I'm the only sop in SoCal Dream still on a 2 valve horn (King K-20.....best sop of the 80s...and ALSO designed by Zig Kanstul), but I;d like to minimize the intonation conflicts that come from a mismatched line. I could always try and borrow the powerbore belinging to EvilDreamer, but that would (as was pointed out to me) mean he couldn't practice with it for mini corps...so I haven't even asked.

Whoops. Well, I don't have the bugle yet, so save the jealousy for when I have it and find out it's quality. By the way-

This might be a big thread starter, but I'm going to throw it out anyway. The reason I got hold of the Soprano Bugle was because of a huge thread on TPIN on "G Trumpets". A lot of folks, as much as I admire them, don't hold too high an opinion of our G Soprano Bugles. Why is this? Note: I'm just curious; I don't want anyone knocking down other players.

Edited by Eaglesong