Best chord of all time?

'79 Guardsmen... last note of "Henry V" ...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The final super-modulating (from d minor to D major in the original symphony) chord near the end of the Shostaovich 5th in Phantom 1996. (When they were in the three arcs) That Shostakovich, the tonal genius he was, made the entire symphony lead to that one single modulation. Jim Wren recreated this almost perfectly on the field. This, is the greatest chord ever.

AMEN! that chord is just saturated with power

Phantom '95

As Bawker and I have discussed previously, the entire sequence from 6:23, to 7:00. It's practically a chord sequence in itself! Features one of my favorite yells ever and the reasoning for my first username on DCP back before I ever even marched, the "GOOO PHANTOMMMM!!" screamed at 6:38, a fantastic low brass sound, impressive consistancy of pitch and volume, and ending a song with a 24 count chord...mmm.

jesus, mary, and that other guy!!! i always crank this one up to double the chills it gives me

As I said in the other thread, I'm still going with Phantom Regiment 2000- the big balanced chord at the end of "Transfigured Night." I have never heard a chord and release like that, ever. DANG.

it just melts my butter...and that mello soloist...she was AWESOME! didn't she win I&E that year?

End of Ave Maria this year for Phantom Regiment

Screaming overtones, powerful crescendo, glorious release

and 20,000+ screaming fans

it just melts my butter...and that mello soloist...she was AWESOME! didn't she win I&E that year?

Don't know about I&E, but the Phantom Regiment ballads CD gives her name as Alyssa Schild, if I'm not mistaken.

As Bawker and I have discussed previously, the entire sequence from 6:23, to 7:00. It's practically a chord sequence in itself! Features one of my favorite yells ever and the reasoning for my first username on DCP back before I ever even marched, the "GOOO PHANTOMMMM!!" screamed at 6:38, a fantastic low brass sound, impressive consistancy of pitch and volume, and ending a song with a 24 count chord...mmm.

If we're allowed to do chord PROGRESSIONS, then my vote goes to the end of Lord's Prayer (Phantom Regiment 2003, 7:12-7:42). The battery triplet at 7:15 gives me chills as the hornline just launches into that fantastic chord progression. That is one of my favorite parts of any drum corps show I've ever heard.

Don't know about I&E, but the Phantom Regiment ballads CD gives her name as Alyssa Schild, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, I remember that name as well. That was probably one of the most impressive performances on a mellophone that I've ever heard; the entire ballad was just gorgeous.

Glad my old thread is still alive! :P

92 Crossmen's Appalachian Morning and Puma have a lot of cool chords in them. Also the end of Barber's Symphony #1 (99 SCV ballad...not sure if it is 1 or 2) is freakin' sweet. Bohemian Rhapsody in Crown's 04 show when they are balls to the wall and the mellophones take it up a notch

....mmmm....drum corps.

oh yeh..and the end of Scouts 97 and 04 :)

For me it's the last chord of Star 93 as my all time favorite. I am also partial to the climax of Jupiter in the Cavaliers 95 show.