DCA Corps Traveling

Good comparison Dale Fine. I was even surprised at that outcome. But in reality, if a circuit started in other parts of the country and stayed by themselves (they wouldn't be DCA then).....and had their own 'championships' would they call themseves the "World Champs" too.? As time goes on, one corp from the East (lets say) makes the big trip West for the 'Championship' and wins, does that make them the 'World Champs' even though they were the only corp from the East? Eventually this would be just like back in the 60's/70's ......only 1-2 big corps would go to Nationals and claim to be the 'best' only to go to DCA and lose. Is this the full 'circle of life'??

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gulf Coast Sound has to travel 6,800 total miles for just three competitive events. The breakdown is as follows:

DCA South-Rockmart, GA: 1,600 miles round trip

DCA South Orlando Show: 1,924 miles round trip

DCA World Championship: 3,286 miles round trip

Total miles: 6,810 miles.

I wanted to move to Ca because Im tired of the east coast and the weather ...as for Finals bids ... sure Id submit one if all thoes Northeast corps' wouldnt whine about how its too far and they cant afford to travel that far .. wah wah wah ...how it is that corps' who have been around 30 .. 40 .. 50 .. 60 years cant afford to travel outside there own reigon but a corps who is not even 10 years old can afford to make 1 ... sometimes 2 trips at least half way if not the whole way across the country.

Sure, Renegades went to NC last year. That's pretty bold, I'll agree. I wish my corps had gone to NC last year too. (It's a shorter trip than the one I made that weekend.) However...

Where's Renegades' out-of-region trip this year? And you can't say Finals. Remember, this thread is about where corps CHOOSE to travel. Finals is not a choice. Kilties chose to go to Syracuse. Great! Gold is going to NE a lot. Wonderful! Hurricanes are headed to Manassas. Hallelujah! Bush, Bucs, and Hurcs all went to NC last year.

Personally, I'd love to see the corps mix it up. But I don't want marching to get too expensive, and I don't want to see corps fold up 'cause they spent too much money traveling.

Good comparison Dale Fine. I was even surprised at that outcome. But in reality, if a circuit started in other parts of the country and stayed by themselves (they wouldn't be DCA then).....and had their own 'championships' would they call themseves the "World Champs" too.? As time goes on, one corp from the East (lets say) makes the big trip West for the 'Championship' and wins, does that make them the 'World Champs' even though they were the only corp from the East? Eventually this would be just like back in the 60's/70's ......only 1-2 big corps would go to Nationals and claim to be the 'best' only to go to DCA and lose. Is this the full 'circle of life'??

Well, (thinking off the cuff here) maybe each region would send their champion to the Nationals. Each region would sponsor the winning corps' trip somewhat to offset the costs. The winner would be the World/National champ. Maybe kinda like the Little League World Series (only on one weekend).

Who knows? I'd hate to see senior corps balkanize itself. I don't think that the current crop of non-NE corps would sequester themselves that way, unless DCA really ticked them off (& I think that the current DCA structure desperately does NOT want that to happen). The pull of DCA in the NE was strong enough to draw in the CorpsVets and Renegades. Then, that critical mass was able to attract all of the newer entrants in DCA's orbit. It remains to be seen, but this all still has a good chance of become a true national activity.

Sure, Renegades went to NC last year. That's pretty bold, I'll agree. I wish my corps had gone to NC last year too. (It's a shorter trip than the one I made that weekend.) However...

Where's Renegades' out-of-region trip this year? And you can't say Finals. Remember, this thread is about where corps CHOOSE to travel. Finals is not a choice. Kilties chose to go to Syracuse. Great! Gold is going to NE a lot. Wonderful! Hurricanes are headed to Manassas. Hallelujah! Bush, Bucs, and Hurcs all went to NC last year.

Personally, I'd love to see the corps mix it up. But I don't want marching to get too expensive, and I don't want to see corps fold up 'cause they spent too much money traveling.

This year they are not taking a long distance regular season trip .. after Winston-Salem in 2005 and Dekalb in 2004 Id imagine they would have to take a little time to grow up the funds again ... and then lest not look back farther to 2000 and 2001 when they took trips to Washington which were close to 1000 miles one way.

Granted this years big regular season trip is the So Cal tour which is down around the LA area but that still has members taking off a full day of work just to travel .... how often in past years have any of the Northeast Corps' done MAJOR traveling ( say 1000 miles or more ) last year Derby Ct to Winston-Salem is rougly 650 miles boku to the northeast corps' that traveld to W-S in 05 but still they only had to do any really moderate travel for 1 show .. being once again that years finals was right in there back yard.

I propose that 'total gas receipts' be worth at least 5 points on the judging sheets....

Dale, this is the only point you make that bothers me, because it is the corps from outside the NE region who are regularly stepping up and taking this risk, not only to compete for themselves, but for the future health of the activity - IMO, of course.

You and I have been there before - back when we fought the notion that Pittsburgh really was as close as a 6 hour bus ride for most of the corps ' back then'.

And I still think you can count the number of East Coast corps who ever came to our shows on one hand.

Empire Statesmen 2006 Regular Season Competition Travel Schedule

Trip to:

(snip my own quote)

Total miles: 1613 miles

Average trip distance: 230 miles

Look, I'm not even saying that Statesmen are traveling a lot. I'd bet that Hurricanes have a much higher total travel distance than we do. And, that's just in the NE. Look at how far the DCA-Central corps have to go, Kilties, Gulf Coast, etc. I live just down the road from Shenandoah Sound. They're going to Georgia and Orlando. I'd much rather travel the NE "tour" than the SE.

But for any individual Renegade to claim that any NE corps doesn't travel a lot (and ducks competition) that's just plain wrong. As I showed, their corps has its own priorities, plan, and budget, just like all the rest.

Look, I'm not even saying that Statesmen are traveling a lot. I'd bet that Hurricanes have a much higher total travel distance than we do. And, that's just in the NE. Look at how far the DCA-Central corps have to go, Kilties, Gulf Coast, etc. I live just down the road from Shenandoah Sound. They're going to Georgia and Orlando. I'd much rather travel the NE "tour" than the SE.

But for any individual Renegade to claim that any NE corps doesn't travel a lot (and ducks competition) that's just plain wrong. As I showed, their corps has its own priorities, plan, and budget, just like all the rest.

Shenandoah Sound is a newer corps ... they are traveling ..... and yes I acknowledge Midwest and Sounthern corps ALSO travel to get to shows ... really what other options do they have unless they want to do one or two shows and hope for the best ... or theres always the option that they do of doing mixed DCI / DCA shows. But hey at least by being in one of thoes traveling corps I get to see new areas every now and then rather than the same old place year after year after year ... Heck Id love to do a show in Texas just for the fact of getting to travel to a whole new area.