DCA Corps Traveling

Rich,

I think that history will be on your side........ When THE Championship was the American Legion Nationals even the North east Corps traveled to Compete. The Cabs have been to Florida, Las Vegas, St Louis, Minneapolis,Miami(twice), Cuba(How did thatget in there) LOL,Houston and Washington,DC. and I'm sure I'm missing a lot. But the motivation was the Championship. The same as the motivation you have for coming to the DCA. I'm sure you are right when there is another Championship for the corps from the North east to win. They will get there collective entities there. (By the way I love that you do travel to DCA it definitely adds big time to that show.) See you in Rochester.

Mike Ryan

Cabs 1975-2006

w/Stp:

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if at some point there couldn't be a "regional" in the central part of the country for the corps from the West coast to the Mississippi or so....

Gulf Coast Sound is hosting a show this year and plan to continue hosting it in the future. A number of new drum corps projects are in the works for Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma (I believe). The Austin Stars plan to take the field in 2007 and that will make 3 Texas all-age corps. I don't see why it couldn't be turned into a central regional DCA competition.

What I find funny in a way is that on the DCI side of DCP people want to make drum corps more regional, while on the DCA side the complaint is that it is TOO regional.

well, the biggest issue is in the mindset of people in..well...according to many, one region in particular. DCi never showed judging bias towards any region, and some feel that there is a bias in DCA.

looking at the placements last year, i'd disagree

Instead of us all gravitating to the tiny little three square mile senior corps empire of the northeast, perhaps we (west, midwest, southern) corps should just work out some joint events on our own that would lead to the creation of a fair and equitable national senior circuit which would put the burden on the east coast corps to either participate in a REAL national competition, or just continue to hang out in their cute little three square mile little kingdom slapping each other on the back and congratulating themselves on being "world champions"

So, they still wanna call themselves "world" champions, yet are scared stiff of driving five miles in any direction to face any additional competition.

Well, if you want the title of "world" champion to carry any real validity and not just be reflective of a sad, regional joke, then............

the biggest problem DCA faces is trying to expand too fast given the limited resources it has to work with. DCA does not have the infrastructure to just say "poof" and make it happen. think about it....6 years ago, this was barely an issue.

give it time dude.

Keith.. its not our faults you moved out to CA...

From Harrisburg (were Keith use to live) to Rochester

262 miles

Point proven.

yeah but til 15 is 4 lines all the way up, it takes forever :P

I wanted to move to Ca because Im tired of the east coast and the weather ...as for Finals bids ... sure Id submit one if all thoes Northeast corps' wouldnt whine about how its too far and they cant afford to travel that far .. wah wah wah ...how it is that corps' who have been around 30 .. 40 .. 50 .. 60 years cant afford to travel outside there own reigon but a corps who is not even 10 years old can afford to make 1 ... sometimes 2 trips at least half way if not the whole way across the country.

dude welcome to the real world...everyone that gets a vote has a say. if you cant make a good enough bid, whining or no whining, no one will vote for it.

Ive always made it to where I have to go, havnt I, one way or another, .. #### one time to go to Sky rehersal I took a bus from Harrisburg to NYC and then took a train fro NYC to another members place in NY for rehersal. IF I was still living back east in an almighty NE corps I wouldnt ##### or complain about traveling to say Texas, Wisconsin, or god forbid California for Finals .... Id be more than excited for the chance to travel someplace new for once for Championships

i hate to go OT, but when you did live here you DID ##### about traveling to get to wherever your corps was.

Im not saying they suck for not traveling enough ... my thing is how they are soo afraid to travel anywhere outside of there own little safty net of the northeast. when you have all these groups who are rather new, and yet put themselves out there by traveling great distances to do shows .... Id like to see someone like Brigs, Empire or someone from the Northeast travel all the way to California for a weekend to do a show ..... when the whole topic began about traveling and when I was still IN the northeast marching with a northeast corps I was all for traveling ... even if it meant I would have to shell out some extra money for it then go for it .... be adventurous, take risks of going outside your little safty net of a few hour bus ride in the northeast.

and maybe if you exhibit some patience, and give it a little time, it may just happen.

like it or not, this change isnt going to happen overnight, and the more people ##### that it doesn't, the more you turn people off.

I think when there are 5 or 6 competing corps in each region, then it will be time to talk about NE corps traveling all over the place like everyone else. Although it's a pain in the rear for corps from GA, TX, TN, NC, CA, and points in between, to travel up north, it's a necessary evil for now. I think Fran's idea about Baltimore for finals would be great, or even some place like Columbus, OH (Crew Stadium would be ideal, if you could get it), that would be central (more or less) to everyone. As for local DCA shows, perhaps there could be "home and home" series or something; have certain NE corps plan to go south/west one year, and the southern/western corps could reciprocate the next. Plan for it, and money and time would be less of a problem.

Just some thoughts from a relative newbie. :)

Edited by davidp