help my memory

What year was it that the Cadets show started with a soprano player way out in left field who had to basically run to his spot for the opening blast of sound. Am I imagining this in one of my "still marching" dreams??????

I knew I couldn't have dreamt it. I am going to have to go back and watch for that on the Legacy. Thanks for helping keep my sanity. :laugh:

I knew I couldn't have dreamt it. I am going to have to go back and watch for that on the Legacy. Thanks for helping keep my sanity. :laugh:

Unfortunately, you won't really see it. The camera shot as the corps comes together is the high cam shot....you'll hear the audience react as the guy enters at a dead run....in a left slide...but about all you'll see of him is him coming into the frame from the left....he DOES beat a few people to their spots, tho.

Amazed he could even play after that!

It's another example of the kind of fabulous moment the cameras missed in the early-mid 80s....camera work sucked ### back then.

It became a game to find and watch this guy on tour in '85.

I remember watching from the back at one show where he stood off of one corner of the field hidden from the crowd by the stadium wall for what seemed like an eternity and then made a beeline to his spot. He made it in perfect timing with the rest of the block.

I can just see Zingali telling him: "I want you to find the furthest spot you can to make it to your dot, and I don't want you to be early or late. I want you to help build tension in building this block, I don't want the crowd to think that you are going to make it in time."

I can just see Zingali telling him: "I want you to find the furthest spot you can to make it to your dot, and I don't want you to be early or late. I want you to help build tension in building this block, I don't want the crowd to think that you are going to make it in time."

Yeah and it worked!!!!!!!! :laugh:

It was not a sop player. he was a bari player. his name was Tom..... something. He aged out that year and came back as a horn tech in 86.

Sorry bud. I was there. His name was Tom Smith and was a sop player. Had the best roll-step of any human being. Went on to serve our country flying fighters for the Air Force.