Blast!

what about shockwave, wasn't that supposed to be the next incarnation (show if you will) from Star

There was Shockwave and Cyberjam. Both short lived and not as well recieved as Blast! That is true. Much like a movie that has a #2 and #3. It gets compared to the original and takes time to be accepted. OR...in some cases takes a 4th one to really take off. I hope that a new professional Star show IS started soon and one that is as well recieved if not more so than Blast! Only because I am actually someone who APPRECIATES professional opportunities that stem from drum corps which allow drum corps alum to move on with their skills and talents.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasn't speaking of material - I was speaking about performance level - they've lost their snap and precision - IMO

At least that was the case when I saw them last time - it was sloppy and the talent level was less than in the past

Consider this. Just like anything (including drum corps - as we ALL who marched know), there can be sub par performances at times. Even professional symphony musicians in the Chicago Symphony can have a bad night here and there.

Also, people who never did blast would not know this but - each cast of Blast also has back up people who give people days off or SHOWS off if there is two or more shows scheduled in one day. The cast I was in had one sub per every 3 spots who had to know 3 different spots because we did 3 shows per day (sometimes even FOUR) and cast members needed a break. Usually, you would not have an entire show FILLED with subs but AT TIMES it would just happen that certain shows would have a larger percentage of subs than usual. At times like that, performance level qualities could get interesting. But, you always had to respect those subs for what they did - they literally had to know 3 totally different spots and would need to perform more than one of those spots per day. Subs were also full time cast members who worked DAILY just like the rest of us - unlike a sub for a professional orchestra who only shows up once and a blue moon.

You know what was cool about "getting subbed out" once a day for lunch break? I would be able to pack a quick lunch if I wanted and go out and watch the show durring my sub's run. Have you ever wondered what it would be like to watch someone do your spot in a drum corps show? :) That's what we got to do. Pretty neat! :)

All of this to say, don't assume that just because you saw a performance that was not up to standard that this is a common problem in Blast.

Edited by torn8o

No, forget it! I'll say it because there is nothing offensive about what I am about to say. Challenging? Yes! Offensive? I don't think so...

If you feel such a need to criticize it, why don't you audition to be cast in the show yourself and make it better?!?!?!?!?!

I'll tell you what is "offensive". Watching people bash something that represents 9 months of my life.

Edited by torn8o

Hi Kids...I am IN BLAST! and I would like to tell you all that BLAST! will be touring until May 14th, 2006. We end our North American tour in Kansas City. There is another BLAST! production in the works, it's title is BLAST! II, M.I.X, Music in Extreme. It will be touring in Japan this summer and fall.

BLAST! has no plans to tour for the 2006-07 season. It MIGHT, and only MIGHT be touring Europe in 06-07. But those plans are at best, tentitive. Our production company is working hard to set up a tour for the 2007-08 season.

To the people who have seen us on this tour, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! We live off of your energy and we love performing for you! YOU make this tour possible! For the ones who haven't seen this production yet, go see it! This is the most talented cast we have had yet (and I should know...been with the Company for a long time) and they love to perform.

I hope that clears up any rumors floating around.

I hope to see you guys down the road!

PEACE!

Thanks Chris. I had heard about the new show but didn't want to say anything out of turn that was perhaps not for publicl knowledge yet. Can't wait to see the new show.

Edited by torn8o

No, forget it! I'll say it because there is nothing offensive about what I am about to say. Challenging? Yes! Offensive? I don't think so...

If you feel such a need to criticize it, why don't you audition to be cast in the show yourself and make it better?!?!?!?!?!

I'll tell you what is "offensive". Watching people bash something that represents 9 months of my life.

...not to mention someone who has done it since the beginning or has been in and out like Chris.

Guys, I'm sorry to get so edgy on this. Just think about what you are saying and how some of it CAN hurt when read by someone who is or has been a part of it.

AND ANOTHER THING....oh never mind. NO REALLY! I COULD go on and on here.

Wanna know the touchy subject in BLAST(!) :P for me?

The total lack of public acknowledgement of whose ideas and arrangements they're using. Audiences without drum corps backgrounds won't know that much of the show is inspired by (or just plain 'using') ideas that were developed by other organizations who had nothing to do with Star of Indiana.

I did get some satisfaction from having my (then) 5-year old daughter scream out "hey, they stole that from the Cavaliers!" at the step-over in "Simple Gifts". Her indignation seemed to register with several other people around us. ^0^ But I didn't see Ralph Pace as having gotten credit for the idea, as he should have.

Oh well, it didn't bother me too much. Having been in the exact middle of the line in the original move, the response WE got was a helluva lot louder. :P

Edited by mobrien

Yes, let's send everyone who values their Blast career (especially the ones who have families to support) home with a permenant pink slip on account of SELFISH Star fans wanting Star Of Indiana back as a drum corps. That's a real good idea!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, just a touchy subject for me considering that the 9 months I spent with one of the stationary casts of Blast kept my family away from some serious financial hardships that we almost thought we were going to have to face.

wow - amazing reaction! :huh:

Star on the field meant a great deal to many people - including the marching members... And it wasn't monetary in nature - so selfish greed and personal profit wasn't the factor. That organization pushed the entire envelop of what was possible on a football field and we are all better for it. 128 members marched each season and benefited from the experience and exposure to excellence the Star Organization provided them. Not greed - benefit.

I am certainly glad you benefitted (financially) from your experience with Blast!

But from an artistic value perspective I just feel the "marching band on a stage" approach has really run its course. That's all.

So we aren't allowed to have an opinion? Wow. I guess the audience is just supposed to sit there and lap it up as long as it has value for YOU?

Who exactly is the one being "selfish" here? <**>