Blast!

There are new shows by star, cyberjam and shockwave. I think cyberjam's the one that uses saxophones. I heard a recording from shockwave and its pretty cool to.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasn't speaking of material - I was speaking about performance level - they've lost their snap and precision - IMO

At least that was the case when I saw them last time - it was sloppy and the talent level was less than in the past

i wasn't speaking of material - I was speaking about performance level - they've lost their snap and precision - IMO

At least that was the case when I saw them last time - it was sloppy and the talent level was less than in the past

I just saw them and thought they were just fine...the smaller cast helps intensify the snap and precision. And the new "everybody loves the blues" soloist, Andrew Smith, blows my mind. It's just different now because they have smaller venues to play.

I just saw them and thought they were just fine...the smaller cast helps intensify the snap and precision. And the new "everybody loves the blues" soloist, Andrew Smith, blows my mind. It's just different now because they have smaller venues to play.

That guy is amazing!! He went to my college and I hung out with him on march madness trip. Cool guy. Our bands show had a solo just written for him but then he went off to do blast, luckily tho we had a freshmen come in who could play it pretty good.

I didn't like it as much with the smaller ensemble, the stage was different and the flooring was a lot smaller so they couldn't do much drill.

I think that they should keep with their color theme and just mix up the music more. I didn't enjoy the drummers when I last saw it either, march.

I saw it in October and it didn't really compare to the first time I saw it, two years ago. There was a soloist who continually cracked notes and just a few things here and there that just didn't help.

It was still good, but their GE score really suffered. :P

Star (and the early days of Brass Theater and Blast!) used to be MIND BLOWINGLY excellent

I ordered the Brass Theatre II disc off of Amazon just the other day, can't wait til it arrives!

As for Blast!, I saw it for the second time last fall, August or September I think. The performance was off during the first set, but I chalked it up to opening night at a new venue. I still cried like a baby during Medea and Malaguena, though nothing can compare to seeing a show like that for the first, back in 2001.

Edited by Maedhros

I saw Blast! for the first time, recently. I was impressed, across the board. Music, drill, dance, equipment, color. It was great! I spoke afterward with 9 or 10 people who had never been exposed to the 'corps-style' of entertainment. They were all "...blown away!..." A few were literally sppechless. IMO, when Blast can evoke that kind of emotion from the audience...ESPECIALLY to the uninitiated...they have done their job. :)

I just saw Blast! for the third time in Long Beach.

Did it have the "WOW" factor it had when I saw it for the first time? - No

Was it still amazing? - Yes

Would I go and see it in another year or two if it comes to SoCal? - You bet!

The fact is, Blast! is another way to spend your entertainment dollar. Every year, it touches people who may have never been exposed to high performance instrumental musical entertainment, may have never seen a Drum and Bugle Corps show, or even know that it is. It's really a fabulous recruiting tool for the activity and for kids (and their parents) in high school who don't know or who have never seen what performance levels they can achieve with traditional brass and percussion instruments.

IMHO, Blast! will continue for many years to come. If you are tired of the current version of Blast!, spend your entertainment dollar elsewhere!